Oxford boundary markers: Henley Street (1830s?)

Inscription illegible
This stone is at the Iffley Road end of Henley Street, wedged into a brick wall, with a street sign installed partly in front of it. It is not a listed structure.
It is too far south to mark the boundary extension of 1832 that brought St Clement's into the city, and In 1886 the boundary of Oxford just before it was extended eastwards to the Boundary Brook in 1889 was still nearer the city, with a stone (now apparently missing) on the corner of James Street and the Iffley Road
It may date from the 1830s, and could be a pair with this one at the west end of Barracks Lane.
Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones
Below: This stone in context

