The Oxford Gymnasium, Alfred Street
The above picture appeared in the Illustrated London News of 5 November 1859, and shows the gymnasium built in Oxford in 1858/9. Although its address is always given as Alfred Street, it actually faced on to Blue Boar Street. The accompanying text reads:
The building is situated in Alfred-street, leading from the High-street, and lies nearly in the centre of the University and City. The appearance of the building, now it is complete, with all its appurtenances, is most interesting, and far exceeds anything of the kind in this or any other country. Every portion of it has been carefully adapted to some important purpose: long rows of lofty windows give sufficient ventilation in summer, and, when in cold or damp weather these are closed, their place is efficiently supplied by a ventilating octagonal lantern rising from the dome-shaped centre roof, and fitted with swing sashes so adapted that they can be opened and shut with the greatest facility. A large centre space, open from the ground floor to the dome, allows every spot to be seen from every other, and not only gives accommodation for the apparatus for high climbing and swinging exercises, but affords facilities for the most complete control and supervision. As fencing forms and important part of educational exercise, one half of the upper floor is fitted up as a fencing-school, while the corresponding portion contains modified exercises for young or delicate pupils. The area is entirely devoted to gymnastic exercises on a very extended scale; and, to ensure perfect safety in their practice, the floor is composed of a carefully-constructed padding, soft, thick, and elastic.
The physical condition of every pupil, child or adult, on his first entrance to the gymnasium, is carefully examined, and his height and weight, &c., carefully compared with his size, condition, and conformation of body, so that his exercises may be adapted to that part which is defective. Among other machines employed for this purpose is one invented by Mr. McLaren by which he can measure the depth and width of the chest at any point.
The building is open daily from nine until four o’clock. Part of this time is devoted to delicate children of both sexes, part to pupils, and the remainder to members – that is, to those pupils who are sufficiently advanced to be able to practise with a less close supervision. Different exercises are, of course, meted out to different pupils in accordance with their age, habits, and physical calibre. Mr. McLaren appears to know what gymnastics truly mean – viz., the education of the body and the apportioning with skilful hand and experienced eye the quality and quantity of the exercises best suited to the special wants of each pupil. Here, too, may be seen that most interesting display — the human frame brought by skilful culture to its perfect attainable point of grace and strength; and in the afternoon, when the more advanced pupils are going through the various feats connected with the jumping horses, horizontal bars, the trapezium, rope ladders, wall-scaling, &c., it presents a scene so animated and striking that few turn from the visitors’ gallery without a feeling of something more than interest in this well-conrived and ably conducted institution. The building has been carried out in a satisfactory manner by Messrs. Castle.
The architect of the Oxford Gymnasium, built by Joseph Castle in 1858/9, was William Wilkinson, and its solid, style is very different from his more usual Gothic. It is a rectangular brick building with round-headed windows and doors, surmounted by an octagonal dome and lantern. The building was equipped throughout with the latest gymnastic contrivances, especially a central Norwegian pole 60 feet in height. The client was Archibald McLaren, an early specialist in physical education. Builder 16 (1858), 716 and 17 (1859), 159. An additional one-storey building, ccntaining a private gymnasium for children, but forming part of the original design, was added in 1861. JOJ 19.10.1861.
The interior has been much altered since it ceased to be a gymnasium. The Holywell Press occupied the building until 1989, and it is now Blue Boar Court.
Archibald Maclaren (1819–84), the proprietor of this gymnasium, had invented the gymnasia in which the British army was trained, and was the author of several works on physical education. His wife (the daughter of the radical Oxford printer and bookseller David Talboys) was to found Summer Fields School in Oxford in 1864.)
Above the side and below the front of the former gymnasium in 2008
Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 29 January 1859 reported:
THE OXFORD GYMNASIUM
This very handsome and well-constructed building, which has been erected for Mr. Maclaren, is now completed, although scarcely four months have elapsed since the foundations were begun. Now that it is fitted up with most of its appurtenances, it appears an useful and interesting building, far exceeding anything of the kind in this or any other country. The size of it is 84 feet in length by 45 feet in breadth. The walls are built of light-colored bricks, the floors and timbers of the roof are of deal, and the roof is covered with slates. The front and side elevations facing the south have two tiers of semi-circular-headed windows, with deeply recessed heads and reveals, which give the appearance of great solidity to the structure. The lower tiers are divided from the upper by an ornamental splayed and dentilled string-course, and the upper windows are set back in semi-circular arched recesses, giving thereby considerable relief to the elevations. Above these upper arches is a handsome moulded brick cornice, finishing about 33 feet from the ground. The semi-circular arched heads to the windows and recesses are formed with cutting bricks of a colour similar to those in the walls, with pointed-arch outlines, very effective and pleasing. The roof of the building is in three compartments or divisions; the two ends are of a lower pitch than the middle portion, which rises considerably above them. It sprints from a square base, and finished octagonally at the cill of a lantern surmounting it, the top of the lantern being about 60 feet from the ground. There are two entrances to the building – one at the west end, the other at the opposite corner on the south side. The whole area on the ground floor within the walls (besides a small porter’s room, entrance-passage, and dressing room) forms one noble room. The height of this room at each end is 16 feet; the middle portion is open to the roof, and in the centre of this a mast, 60 feet in height, is planted for climbing exercises. There is a staircase leading from the entrance passage to the upper floor, and this floor extends over the whole area of the building, with the exception of the open part in the middle, which is surrounded by a massive hand-rail, supported by handsomely formed newels, and the space between the hand-rail and the floor is filled with wooden trellis-work. Around the sides of this area massive wooden brackets project three feet, between which is extended a species of net-work of half-inch rope, with meshes of proportionate size. The upper floor is formed with iron flitched girders and binders about 14 inches deep, and upon these are laid the joists and flooring. The girders receive support from four ornamental cast-iron columns of twelve inches in diameter. The ceiling underside the floor, also the upper ceiling, are formed into square compartments by the girders and girders, which are left exposed, and, like the rest of the wood-work, are varnished.
The building is in every respect a successful one, at once substantial and elegant, and most complete in all its parts. It will be seen that no small amount of care and thought have been bestowed in adapting every portion of it to some important purpose. The long rows of lofty widows will be thrown wide open in summer, and when in cold or wet weather these are closed, the ventilating lantern on the top of the building, with its eight windows swinging on their centres, in connection with eight others at the base of the dome, will afford ample means for the free interchange of pure and vitiated air, far above the heads of the pupils; thus embracing all the advantages of the open air, with none of its disadvantages in this variable climate. The girders and binders, while they give solidity to the floors, and prevent vibration, also afford the most ample facility for the secure attachment of the various machines, and their appearance in the ceiling below is in excellent keeping with the simple and truthful solidity of the general design. The large centre space, open from the ground floor to the dome, thus allowing every spot within the walls to be seen from every other spot, gives the greatest opportunity for complete control and supervision; and the massive hand-rail and solid trellis-work, with the superadded net-work (through which a man may climb, but cannot fall) render accidents impossible. It is being fitted up with exercises suited to pupils of all ages and conditions of health, those which train the body, correct its faults, and advance its powers to their fullest capacity; extending from mere systematized play for very young or delicate children, so arranged that any local weakness or defect may receive the direct and ameliorating effect of the exercise, to those which test and increase the powers of the ablest athletic. As fencing forms and important branch of educational exercise, one half of the upper floor is fitted up as a fencing school. The corresponding portion contains modified exercises for young and delicate pupils. The area is entirely devoted to gymnastic exercises on a very extended scale; and to ensure perfect safety in their practice, the entire floor is composed of a carefully constructed padding, soft, thick, and elastic.
Mr. Maclaren’s long experience and favoured position in Oxford have thus enabled him to erect a Gymnasium, in which the value of bodily exercises, scientifically conducted, may be fully demonstrated, and which we hope before long to see imitated at every public school in the kingdom.
Mr. Wilkinson is the architect, and Messrs. Joseph Castle and Co., Cowley Road, the builders.
See also Cuthbert Bede, The Adventures of Mr. Verdant Green, Part III, pp. 95–7 for a description and line drawings of the fencing room, the gymnasium, and Mr Maclaren himself.