Oxford Inscriptions: Former Radcliffe Infirmary

RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY AND COUNTY HOSPITAL

FOR THE SUPPORT OF THE HOSPITAL.
The Radcliffe Infirmary on the Woodstock Road opened in 1770, and closed in 2007 when the University of Oxford took over its large site.
The estate of Dr John Radcliffe paid the £4,000 necessary for the building of the hospital, but it depended on voluntary subscriptions for its running costs.

Left: Plaque unveiled on the old Radcliffe Infirmary building on 22 May 2020. It reads:
TO HONOUR
THE DOCTORS,
NURSES
AND ALL WHO
CARED FOR THE SICK
IN THE RADCLIFFE
INFIRMARY
1770–2007
Oxford Mail, 6 June 2020: “Radcliffe Infirmary plaque to honour Oxford's first hospital staff”
Wikipedia: Radcliffe Infirmary
