The City Church, Oxford
Oxford has had a City Church, where the Mayor and Corporation were expected to worship, from about 1122 to the present day.
The first City Church was St Martin’s at Carfax, which has now been demolished. The second city church, All Saints, was deconsecrated in 1971, and the present City Church is St Michael-at-the-Northgate. The incumbent is still known as the City Rector.
The burgesses had a strong hold over the City Church in previous centuries: they hung their bell in its tower, appointed City Lecturers, and influenced the appointment of its Rectors.
St Martin’s, Carfax
The first city church, c.1122–1896
All Saints, High Street
The second Oxford city church, 1896–1971
St Michael-at-the-Northgate, Cornmarket
The third city church, 1971–present
Above: This fourteenth-century font has stood in three city churches: it was first transferred from St Martin’s Church to All Saints, and then on to St Michael’s
Left: The Mayor’s seat that used to be in St Martin’s Church. This was brought to All Saints Church from St Martin’s, but was not transferred to the present city church. Since January 1997 it has stood in the entrance lobby of the Town Hall.