All Saints’ Church
The City Church of Oxford from 1896 to 1971

In 1896, when St Martin’s Church at Carfax was demolished, All Saints in the High Street became the City Church.
The original All Saints’ Church was founded in 1122 on this site, but in 1700 its spire collapsed, destroying most of the church. An appeal was launched, and this new church containing 350 seats was completed by 1720.
All Saints’ Church was declared redundant and closed in 1971. Since 1976 the building has been the Library of Lincoln College.
The former church is Grade I listed (List Entry No. 1047271).
Historic England photographs of All Saints’ Church
- During restoration work in 1888
- The pulpit in 1913
- Interior of the church in 1901, with the font that had been moved from St Martin's and now in St Michael's Church
- Another view of the font in 1901
- Altar and reredos in 1901
- Another view of the interior
The Universal British Directory describes All Saints thus in 1791:
The church of All Saints, situated in the High-street, is an elegant modern structure, much in the style of many of the new churches in London. It is beautified both within and without with Corinthian pilasters, and finished with an attic story and balustrade. There is no pillar in the church, though it is seventy-two feet long, forty-two wide, and fifty high. The ceiling, altar, pulpit, &c. are finely executed. The steeple is remarkable, in the modern manner. Its architect was Dr. Aldrich, formerly dean of Christchurch.
The engraving below was drawn by F. Mackenzie and engraved by J. Le Keux, and published on 1 September 1834 by J. H. Parker:

Bishop Samuel Wilberforce wrote in his Diocese Book in 1857 and 1860 (before it became the City Church):
Oxford, All Saints. P.C.
Rev. W. W. West – a clever man. Strong head & not apparently religious or a pleasant man. Not at meeting Jan 57. Asked too late. Feb 7.60 – applies to give title to Cornish. Son of H. H. Cornish. Stipend £35. Whole income of Living being £1000....
Below left: Views of the interior and the roof of All Saints’ Church, after its conversion to a library for Lincoln College
Below right: The spire of All Saints’ Church with that of St Mary the Virgin behind, photographed from the tower of Carfax Church



See also:
- The first city church (St Martin’s)
- The third (and present) city church (St Michael-at-the-Northgate)