Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

Clement James Victor Bellamy (1880–1946)

Mayor of Oxford 1939/40 and 1940/1


Clement James Victor Bellamy was born at Clee in Grimsby, Lincolnshire at the end of 1880. He was the eldest child of William Henry Bellamy (born in Horncastle in Lincolnshire in 1860) and Ann Elizabeth Champ (born in Grimsby, Lincolnshire in 1859).

His parents were aged 20 and 21 respectively when they were married in the Caistor district of Lincolnshire in the second quarter of 1880, and they had the following children:

  • Clement James Victor Bellamy (born in Grimsby in late 1880 and baptised at St John's Church, Clee on 30 March 1881)
  • Leah Gertrude Bellamy (born in Grimsby on 13 February 1882)
  • Adlard William Bellamy (born in Grimsby on 25 May 1883)
  • Florence Maud Bellamy (born in Grimsby on 3 March 1886)
  • William Henry Bromhead Bellamy (born in Grimsby in 1889, died in 1890)
  • Charles Henry Bellamy (born in Grimsby in 1890, reg. Caistor third quarter)
  • Reginald Harold Bellamy (born in Grimsby in 1892, died the same year)
  • Beatrice Bromhead Bellamy (born in Grimsby in 1894, died in 1901)
  • Gladys May Bellamy (born in Grimsby in 1896, reg. Caistor second quarter)
  • Roland Cecil Bellamy (born in Grimsby on 17 May 1902).

At the time of the 1891 census Clement (four months) and his parents were living at 106 Cleethorpe Road, Clee-with-Weelsby, Lincolnshire with his paternal grandparents John Bellamy (48) and Eleanor (54). Also living in the house were three of Clement's father's unmarried siblings, John (23), Ann (21) and Lilley (18), as well as his father's married sister Sarah Cuthburt (25) and her miller husband and their son. Clement's father, grandfather, and uncle were all described as ginger beer manufacturers. A night nurse also spent census night with them.

By the time of the 1891 census Clement's parents had moved into a nearby house of their own at 188 Cleethorpe Road, and Clement (10) now had four younger siblings: Clement (10), Gertrude (9), Adlard (7), Florence (5), and Charles (ten months). His father was described as a mineral water manufacturer and employer, and the family had one servant.

Bellamy was educated at Caistor Grammar School in Lincolnshire. He decided to take up pharmacy, and was articled at Sheffield. He then went to work as a chemist’s assistant at 16 Regent Street Gloucester, where he can be found at the age of 20 in the 1901 census. He qualified in 1902.

Bellamy then worked in London, Monte Carlo, and Paris and finally in 1906 succeeded to the business of George Claridge Druce (who himself had been Mayor in 1900/1) at 118 High Street, Oxford.

In the third quarter of 1906 in Gloucester, Clement James Victor Bellamy married Maud Emma Hill (born in South Molton, Devon on 20 January 1880). They do not appear to have had any children.

The 1911 census shows Bellamy and his wife Maud living over their shop at 118 High Street, with a chemist’s assistant lodging with them.

Bellamy held the warrant of appointment to the future Duke of Windsor when (as Prince of Wales) he was at Oxford. Bellamy opened branches of his chemist shop in other parts of the city, and retained an interest in the business when it became a company in 1939. He served a term as President of the Oxford & District Chemists’ Association.

On 1 April 1913 at the age of 32 he was initiated as a Freemason at the Alfred Lodge in Oxford.

Bellamy's brother Charles was killed in France in 1916 (see his CWGC page).

On 27 January 1926 Clement Bellamy's photograph appeared in the Oxford Journal Illustrated when he was appointed President of the Oxford & District Chemists' Association.

Bellamy came on to the City Council as the representative for the North Ward in 1929. In 1939 he was elected Mayor of Oxford (for 1939/40), and at the end of his term of office, which was of course in wartime, he was elected again the following year (for 1940/1). At the end of his two years in office, the University awarded him an honorary degree.

In 1930 Bellamy is listed in Kelly’s Directory as living at 1 Upland Park Road, which had just been built.

Bellamy was twice Worshipful Master of the Annesley Lodge of Freemasons, and was a senior member of Alfred Lodge. He was also a Rosicrucian. When he was younger he was a keen motorcyclist and a member of the Oxford Motor Club; later he became a golfer and a member of the Frilford Club. He served a term as magistrate, and was also Chairman of the Oxford Eye Hospital, President of the Rotary Club of Oxford, and President of the Oxford Chamber of Commerce.

† Clement James Victor Bellamy was still living at 1 Upland Park Road when on 13 January 1946 he died at the Oxford Eye Hospital at the age of 65 (after an illness lasting some months). His funeral was at the City Church (then All Saints) on 16 January, and the mourners included his brothers A. W. Bellamy and R. C. Bellamy and his sister Mrs F. W. Robinson, with the Vice-Chancellor representing the University, and the Mayor and members of the Corporation the City. He was buried at Wolvercote Cemetery.

His wife Maud Emma Bellamy died at 23 St Mary's Walk, Harrogate on 9 November 1973. Her effects came to £8,172.


See also:

  • Oxford Times, 18 January 1946, p. 8g (obituary)

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 20 September, 2018

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home