Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

118: Breckon & Breckon


118 High Street

No. 118 dates from the sixteenth century, but the front has been much altered, with only the two top windows surviving. It is a Grade II* listed building (List Entry No. 1047257). It was in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971.

According to Salter, at the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford No. 118 was occupied by two households:  Mr Bridle (with a frontage of 3 yards and 2 o feet) and Mr Cook (with a frontage of 4 yards).

This was a chemist’s shop from at least the 1840s to 1935. At the time of the 1851 census the chemist was Francis W. Edwards, and he lived over the shop with his wife, two daughters, and two servants. Henry C. Upjohn, another chemist,was listed here with his family in the 1861 census, and he was still here in 1881.

George Claridge Druce

From 1879 the well-known botanist George Claridge Druce (1850–1932) had his chemist shop here.

Druce advert

At the time of the 1881 census Druce was living here over his shop with his 17-year-old assistant. He was one of the first people in Oxford to have a telephone line put in, and in 1899 he had the simple number “Oxford 12”.

In 1891 Druce and his mother and their servant and three assistant chemists were living over this shop.

Druce served on Oxford City Council from 1892, and in 1900 he was Mayor of Oxford.

He and his shop play a small role in Max Beerbohm’s Zuleika Dobson (1911), patching up the Duke of Dorsetshire when he trips and injures himself when running away from Zuleika.

Another chemist, Clement James Bellamy, occupied No. 118 from 1908 to 1920. At the time of the 1911 census Bellamy (30) and his wife Maud and his assistant lived in the seven rooms over the shop. From 1921 to 1937 (five years after Druce's death) the shop was listed as Druce & Co.

South Midland Motor Services advertisement

From 1939

From 1939 to 1968 South Midland Motor Services (right) were based here at No. 118.

 

In 1970 A-Plan Insurance combined this shop with No. 117 to the east, and the two shops remained attached until 1993.

 

From 2000 to 2006 this was a computer shop. In November 2004 the shop front was destroyed in an accident.

Occupiers of 118 High Street

1839–1846+

Edward Rogers Kett, Chemist & druggist

1852, 1853

Francis William Edwards, Chemist & druggist

1861–1872

Henry Charles Upjohn, Chemist

1875–1876+

E. Burbridge, Chemist

1879–1907

George Claridge Druce, MA, FLS
Pharmaceutical chemist

1908–1920

Clement Bellamy, Pharmaceutical chemist

1921–1937

Druce & Co., Chemists

(with Frederick G. Mullins, Tailor (presumably upstairs) from 1934 to 1936

1939–1968

South Midland Motor Services Ltd, Motor coach proprietors

1970–1993

A-Plan Protection Ltd, Insurance brokers (jointly with No. 117)

2000–2006

Mices.com, Computers

2007–present

Breckon & Breckon

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 25 April, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home