Oxford boundary markers: North Hinksey (1984)

[City coat of arms showing
ox crossing ford]
1984
Councillor
Dr. F. A. Garside
Lord Mayor
Councillor
B. G. Standingford
Sheriff
This stone is behind The Fishes pub
in North Hinksey, down a short overgrown path at the bottom right-hand side
of the garden
Not a listed structure
This stone is unusual in two respects.
(1) It is situated on the Berkshire side of the Hinksey Stream, whereas all other such stones are set on the Oxford side whenever water marks the boundary
(2) Although it marks an ancient boundary of the city of Oxford, it was erected retrospectively in 1984: photograph
After 1984 the next (partial) walking and boating around the bounds was by Lord Mayor Mark Lygo on 4 October 2021, when the group walked through the fields from Folly Bridge to this stone at The Fishes
Councillor Frank Arnold Garside (1915–1988), Lord Mayor
Frank Garside was Lord Mayor of Oxford in the year 1984/5. He was a teacher at Magdalen College School, and the Garside Element was named after him. He partially beat the bounds near the beginning of his term on 30 June 1984, and this new stone was set up to commemorate the event.
Councillor Bertie George Standingford (1918–1987), Sheriff

Memorial plaque at Peasmoor Piece, Northway
Bertie Standingford was Sheriff of Oxford in the year 1984/5.
He was chosen to serve as Lord Mayor for the year 1987/8, but died on 19 May 1987 just two days before he was due to take office. William Fagg (who had been Lord Mayor in 1975/6) served for six weeks from 21 May to 6 July 1987, and Bertie Standingford's widow Elizabeth Florence Mary Standingford (née Oliver) took up the position.
