Back
Next

Inscriptions: St Frideswide's School, Helen Road (now Nos. 23A/B/C/D/E)


St Frideswide's School

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN THE CHRISTIAN EDUCATION OF THE CHILDREN OF THIS PARISH
THIS STONE WAS LAID
JULY 8TH 1904
BY
FRANCIS, LORD BISHOP OF OXFORD

KINGERLEE & SONS
BUILDERS

TOLLIT, LEE & GARDINER
ARCHITECTS, OXFORD

By 1901 the St Frideswide's Church of England Boys' and Girls' School of 1872 in South Street, Osney had become very overcrowded, and an appeal was launched for funds to build this new school in Helen Road for 278 boys. (The school for 125 girls opened at 34 Banbury Road.)

This new St Frideswide's Boys' School was built between 23 & 25 Helen Road in 1904/5:

  • Thomas Henry Kingerlee, who lived nearby in what is now the River Hotel on the Botley Road, was the builder not only of the school but of the entire road (which was named after his daughter).
  • The architects of the school building were Tollit, Lee, & Gardiner, who had their office at 7 St Aldate's Street.
  • The Bishop of Oxford who laid this foundation stone was Francis Paget.

St Frideswide's (Church of England) Primary Boys' School was still listed in Helen Road in Kelly's Directory for 1956, but in 1957 it closed and the boys were transferred to the West Oxford Council School.

In September 2000 planning permission was granted to replace the school (as well as 12, 14, & 16 Binsey Lane) with housing (97/01249/GO). The five houses on the school site are numbered 23A/B/C/D/E.

Below: the inscription in context between 24A & 24B Helen Road on Google StreetView:

© Stephanie Jenkins