Oxford Inscriptions: Baptist meeting house

NEAR THIS PLACE THE BAPTISTS OF OXFORD
WORSHIPPED FROM 1661 TO 1715 IN THE HOUSE
OF RICHARD TIDMARSH (MINISTER 1661–1691).
BAPTISMS TOOK PLACE IN THE STREAM BELOW.
THE MEETING-HOUSE WAS DESTROYED BY RIOTERS
IN 1715.
ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF NEW ROAD CHAPEL TO MARK
300 YEARS OF BAPTIST WITNESS IN OXFORD. 1953.
This plaque is on the bridge in New Road.
