Back
Next

Oxford Ghost Signs: 24 & 26 George Street


These old glass panels were removed by Megan's in 2026
but this page has been retained in their memory

Inscription on glass of 24 & 26 George Street

This is just one example of the engraved glass on the top of the windows of the large shop on the corner of George Street and Gloucester Street that is now Megan's Restaurant.

The ghost sign shown above is on the front part of the shop facing George Street, and reads SPORTS WEAR / OVERCOATS. Running down the side of the shop on Gloucester Street matching signs read (from north to south): TAILORS / SPORTS WEAR / OVERCOATS / RAINCOATS / BOYS WEAR / MENS WEAR / OUTFITTING.

From before 1914 this shop was occupied by the Oxford Co-operative & Industrial Society Ltd. In 1933 Kelly's Directory started to specify that this department of the shop comprised “gents' outfitters, tailors, hosiers, hatters &c” and gave two telephone numbers (4116 and 4117). This listing continued until 1938, but with four telephone numbers (4521. 4522, 4523, and 4524) from 1936.

In 1940 the name of the business had changed to the Oxford & District Co-operative Society Ltd, but the list of departments remained the same. Then in 1941 and 1943 only “outfitters” was listed, but there was a return to the earlier list from 1945 to 1949., The word “tailors” was dropped from 1952 to 1958. In 1960 the Co-op received planning permission for a new shop front, and from that year to 1968 there was a complete change and Nos. 24 & 26 housed just their hardware department.

In 1970 the name of the business had changed to the Oxford & Swindon Co-operative Society Ltd, and their optician and photographic departments were in No. 24 and their china & glass department was in No. 26

The Co-op had moved out by 1973. .

A fuller history of this shop, which was built in 1900, can be seen here.

© Stephanie Jenkins