Oxford Inscriptions: J. R. R. Tolkien
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (1892–1973) moved into 76 Sandfield Road, Headington in 1953. This plaque is over the garage at the front of the house.
The following books in the Lord of the Rings series were published while Tolkien lived at 76 Sandfield Road (right):
- The Fellowship of the Ring (1954)
- The Two Towers (1954)
- The Return of the King (1955)
In 1968 the attentions of the fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings at his Sandfield Road home made him flee from Headington to Bournemouth, where he remained until his death in 1973.
Wikipedia: J. R. R. Tolkien