Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: St Andrew’s Primary School


St Andrew's Senior School

 

ST ANDREW’S
SENIOR SCHOOL
———
THIS STONE WAS LAID
BY
MRS HENRY M. BEAUFOY
ON APRIL 17TH
IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1928

 

This inscription is on the front wall of St Andrew’s Primary School on the London Road.

In 1918 the school-leaving age was raised to 14, and conditions at St Andrew’s School, which accommodated children right through from infancy to that age, became very cramped. More land was purchased to the east and south of the old school, and in 1928 a second school (to the east of the present site) was erected. Headington Senior School was designed to take the senior children (up to the age of 14) from the junior section next door (as well as those from Quarry School).

Mrs Gwendolyn Beaufoy (née Wood) was the wife of Henry Mark Beaufoy, the chairman of Beaufoy & Co., vinegar manufacturers, of Lambeth, whose family business had long held the monopoly of supplying vinegar to the Royal Navy. He had moved into Bury Knowle House two years earlier in 1926 with his wife and his daughter Prue. Henry Beaufoy sold Bury Knowle House, together with its large park, to the City Council in the early 1930s and moved to Hill House in Steeple Aston.

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013