Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Methodist meeting house


John Wesley

 

ON 14TH JULY 1783 AND ON SEVERAL
SUBSEQUENT OCCASIONS
JOHN WESLEY
PREACHED IN THIS BUILDING
THE FIRST METHODIST MEETING HOUSE
IN OXFORD

 

This plaque is set into the wall on the east side of New Inn Hall Street.

John Wesley (1703–1791), the founder of the Methodist Church, was an undergraduate at Christ Church. He was ordained in 1725 and elected a Fellow of Lincoln College in 1726.

At Christ Church he had joined the small undergraduate religious group led by his younger brother Charles. They became known as Methodists because of their dedication to regular devotion and good works (visiting prisoners almost daily in the Castle and the Bocardo in Oxford).

John Wesley left Oxford in 1735, and three years later began his mission on horseback around the British Isles. In most places he had to preach outdoors, but when he revisited in Oxford in 1783 he was luckier: there was a new Methodist preaching house at 32 and 34 New Inn Hall Street (now marked by the above plaque). Wesley described this building as “a lightsome, cheerful place, and well filled with rich and poor, scholars as well as townsmen”.


Wikipedia: John Wesley

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013