Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: The Protestant Martyrs’ Memorial


Martyrs' Memorial

TO .THE.GLORY.OF.GOD
AND.IN.GRATEFUL.COMMEMORATION
OF.HIS.SERVANTS
THOMAS.CRANMER
NICHOLAS.RIDLEY
HUGH.LATIMER
PRELATES.OF.THE.CHURCH
OF.ENGLAND
WHO.NEAR.THIS.SPOT
YIELDED.THEIR.BODIES
TO.BE.BURNED
BEARING.WITNESS
TO.THE.SACRED.TRUTHS
WHICH.THEY.HAD
AFFIRMED.AND.MAINTAINED
AGAINST.THE.ERRORS
OF.THE.CHURCH.OF.ROME
AND.REJOICING.THAT
TO.THEM.IT.WAS.GIVEN
NOT.ONLY.TO.BELIEVE.IN.CHRIST
BUT.ALSO.TO.SUFFER.FOR.HIS.SAKE
THIS.MONUMENT.WAS.ERECTED
BY.PUBLIC.SUBSCRIPTION
IN.THE.YEAR.OF.OUR.LORD.GOD
M.DCCCXLI

 

The Martyrs’ Memorial was erected in 1841 at the south end of St Giles’ in memory of three Protestant martyrs who were burnt at the stake in Broad Street in 1555/6.

The stone below is in the pavement in front of the memorial, and records the memorial’s restoration in 2002.

Oxford Preservation Trust

THE
MARTYRS’
MEMORIAL
WAS RESTORED IN
2002 TO MARK THE
75TH ANNIVERSARY OF
OXFORD PRESERVATION TRUST

Coat-of-arms

 

An inscription on one of the shields on the Memorial (left) commemorates Cranmer’s Authorized Version of the Bible of 1541. It reads:

THE
BYBLE
IN
ENGLYSH
AUTHO
RIZED
MAYE
MDXLI

More on the Martyrs’ Memorial

Oxford Preservation Trust

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013