Nos. 48–49: Eagle & Child pub

This building dates from the sixteenth century and is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047147). It lies in St Giles' parish.

It is popularly known as the “Bird & the Baby”, and has been a beer house since 1650. Wellington Place runs along the north side of the building, and Eagle & Child Passage runs through the pub itself on the south side.

The pub belonged to University College from the sixteenth century until 2003, when it was put up for sale at a guide price of £1.2million (along with the two adjoining shops and a maisonette). In 2004 it was bought by St John’s College (who also own the Lamb & Flag on the other side of the road), and they stated that when Mitchell & Butler’s lease expired, they would take over the management, and would possibly use the profits to provide student bursaries. The annual income from the pub at the time of purchase was £91,000.

The Eagle & Child

The first record of the pub’s present name is in 1684, when Richard Platt was granted a licence to hang out a sign depicting the coronet with an eagle and child that appears on the crest of the Earl of Derby. The pub was a popular haunt of the diarist Anthony Wood in the seventeenth century.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. The house that forms the north end of this pub was then in the occupation of Mr Hart (with a frontage of 3 yards 1  feet 6 inches) and the house that forms the south end in the occupation of Mr Green senior (with a frontage of 3 yards 2 feet 6 inches).

The Eagle & Child was a modest beer house (rather than an inn like the Lamb & Flag across the road), and landlords in the nineteenth century usually had a second occupation, probably leaving much of the work of running the beerhouse to their wives.

A planning application was approved in November 2019 to convert the upper floors of Nos. 49, 50, and 51 into a hotel (19/01457/LBC).

Eagle & Child close-up


Some landlords:

1841 census: William Tew

1851 census: Thomas Kerwood, who lived here with his wife, three children, and a 14-year-old girl servant, was primarily a dairyman. By 1861 he was dead, and his wife ran the beerhouse on her own, probably helped by her 21-year-old daughter Emily. A servant described as a dairymaid was also living at the beerhouse, indicating that a small dairying business was still being practised

1881 census: John Buckland Earl, who was primarily a tailor, lived here with his wife Rebecca and his grandson, an apprentice decorator.

1891 census: Arthur Holliday lived here with his wife and their servant, and a famrer called Charles Richardson lived in another part of the pub. Holliday is described in the census as a licensed victualler, but was listed in directories as a dog specialist.

From the 1930s to the 1960s the Inklings (including C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien) met in the “Rabbit Room” at the back of this pub.

Occupants of the Eagle & Child, 48/49 St Giles’ Street
listed in censuses and directories


Jonathan Brown


William Tew (or Jew), Beer retailer


Thomas Kerwood, Dairyman and Beer retailer (1851, 1852)
Mrs Ann Kerwood (1861–1872)


John B. Earl


Charles Launchbury, Beer retailer


Arthur Holliday, Dog specialist


John Kempson, Beer retailer (1896–1908)
Mrs Kate Kempson (1909–1911)


John Dallimore, Beer retailer


Charles F. Blagrove, Beer retailer (1918–1949)
Mrs F. Blagrove, Beer retailer (1952–1956)


Eagle & Child Public House
(Landlords not listed in directories after 1956)

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home