ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 12–13: Lamb & Flag Inn


Lamb & Flag

The main section of the Lamb & Flag (No. 12) has been an alehouse since about 1695, and parts of the original building still remain.

The taller, very narrow house on the left of this photograph appears to have been taken over by the pub c.1900.

Nos. 12 and 13 are each Grade II listed (refs. 1485/527 and 828 respectively).

St John’s College bought 12 St Giles from Godstow Abbey, and opened a tavern here in 1695. The college named it after the two symbols of St John the Baptist: a lamb and a flag (although only the lamb is shown on the inn’s sign). Lamb & Flag Passage runs through the south side of the pub and leads into Museum Road and on to Parks Road

Hall’s Brewery took a lease on the pub from St John’s in 1829.

By 1963 it was a Phipps pub (a Northampton Brewery later taken over by Watneys).

In 1999 the college took back the licence and now offers financial support to D.Phil. students from the pub’s profits, offering Lamb & Flag studentships worth up to £12,000 a year. The first three scholarships were awarded in 2003.

At the time of the Survey of Oxford in 1772, No. 12 was in the occupation of Mrs Hicks (with its frontage recorded as 9 yards 2 feet 6 inches), and No. 13 in the occupation of Mr Williams (with the very narrow frontage of 3 yards 2 feet 2 inches).

In the early nineteenth century many auctions (of houses, land, horses, and tolls) took place in the Lamb & Flag. The landlord in the 1820s was George Randall or Randell. He died in early 1830, his widow Ann Randall (née Kirby) put the following notice in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 20 February 1830:

Mrs Randall's notice

By August 1840 the landlord of the Lamb & Flag was Samuel Bough, and the 1841 census shows him, aged 28, living at No. 12 with his wife Ellen, an ostler, and two female servants. The tall narrow house next door, No. 13, was occupied by a 60-year-old lady of independent means, Miss Mary Bunce, and her 15-year-old servant.

In 1849 William Bayzand, formerly of the Maidenhead Inn, took over the Lamb & Flag, and inserted an advertisement to that effect in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 8 September 1849, adding:

Well-aired Beds, extensive Stables, and Lock-up Coach-houses.— Dealer in Hay, Corn, &c.

Miss Bunce was still there in 1851, with her older sister Mrs Letitia Betts (85) and a servant, while the innkeeper next door was William Bayzand. He is described as the employer of one man, and lived at No. 12 with his wife and six children and two house servants.

By 1861 Bayzand was calling himself a “hotel keeper”, while his eldest son, also William, was a cab proprietor. Miss Bunce was still at No. 13 at the age of 84: she then had one servant and two lodgers (Mrs Sarah Bowell, a “railway share proprietor” of 64, and a widowed gentlewoman of 79. Elizabeth Bliss).

In 1881 the landlord of the Lamb & Flag was John Knibbs, aged 49, who lived here with his wife, a barmaid, and a general servant. No. 13 was occupied by the tailor David Clifford and his wife, three children, his aunt, and his shop assistant, plus a cook and a housemaid.

Picture of the Lamb & Flag in 1907
on the English Heritage website

Occupants listed in censuses and directories
Date 12 St Giles 13 St Giles
By 1823–1840 Lamb & Flag:
George Randall (by 1823–1830)
Ann Randall (1830–1840)
?
1840–1841 Samuel Bough or Bow
Inn Keeper
Mary Bunce
Independent
1841–1848 Lamb & Flag: Richard Gurden Mrs Letitia Betts
1848 Lamb & Flag: Thomas Harris ?
1849, 1852 Lamb & Flag: William Bayzand John Looker, Attorney
Mrs Letitia Betts
1861 Mrs Mary Bunce
1866–7 Lamb & Flag:Thomas Wood
Cab & fly proprietor
and licensed victualler
1869–71 Miss Procter
Mantle & millinery magasin
1872–6 David Price Clifford
Tailor & hosier
1880–2 Lamb & Flag:
J. Knibbs

Cab & fly proprietor
and licensed victualler

1883–7 W. Herman
Cabinet maker, upholsterer,
decorator, & undertaker
1889–93 Lamb & Flag
John Rhodes

Cab & fly proprietor
D. P. Clifford
Tailor & hosier
1894 J. F. Furby
Tailor, hatter, & shirtmaker
1898–9 Hatch & Co.*
Japanese warehouse
1900
to
present

Lamb & Flag Inn

John Rhodes (1889–1910)
Albert Paine (1911–1923)

Lamb & Flag Hotel
with Lamb & Flag (later Bishop’s) Garage to 1937

Frank J. E. Richards (1925–1929)
Stanley M. Richards (1930–1949)
A. J. Going (1952–1954)
Charles Ludbrook (1956)

Landlords not listed in directories after 1956

* After 1899, there are no listings for No. 13, suggesting that it was taken in to the inn next door that year. Between 1937 and 1955, however, it was also the office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths for the Oxford sub-district, before it moved across the road to No. 42.

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home