ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 11: Middleton Hall/St John’s House


11 St Giles

No. 11 St Giles’ Street (formerly Middleton Hall) is between the President’s Drive to the south and Lamb & Flag Passage to the north. It was probably built in1663, and was heavily restored soon after it became a private hall in 1898. It iss a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047133), and lies in St Giles' parish.

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, Middleton Hall was occupied by the Revd Mr Cox, and its frontage was given as 22 yards and 10 inches.

Gardner’s Directory of 1852 states:

Middleton Hall, now the residence of the Rev. Mr. Cornish, bears the date 1663 in the spandrils of an elliptical arch on the staircase. The original fabric anciently belonged to the nunnery of Godstow.

At the time of the 1851 census, No. 11 was occupied by the Revd Henry Hubert Cornish, his wife Mary, five children, and a cook, nurse, and under-nurse. He was the chaplain of Corpus Christi College, and became Principal of New Inn Hall in 1866.

At the time of the 1861 census the Revd Bartholomew Price, Professor of Natural Philosophy, and his wife were away and his children (Amy aged 2 and William aged 1) were being looked after by the servants (a butler, housemaid, cook, and nurse. As his family increased, he enlarged the house: Jackson’s Oxford Journal in October 1875 reports that a dining room, drawing room, and offices had been added on to the house that year. The Prices were at home in 1881 with three of their younger children (Alice aged 17, Rose aged 15, and Elinor, aged 12), plus a footman, cook, housemaid, and lady’s maid. At the time of the 1891 census, only the servants were in the house.

From 1898 to 1918 this was Clarke's Hall, and then from 1898 to 1918 it was Pope's Hall.

Campion Hall (now a permanent private hall of the University) started life here in 1919.

It is now part of St John's College

Occupants of 11 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1846

T. E. Washbourne
Surveyor

1851/1852

Revd Henry H. Cornish
Clergyman, no cure of souls (1851)

1861–1891

Revd Bartholomew Price, F.R.S.
Sedleian Professor of Natural Philosophy

1893–1896

Timothy Edward Cobb, J.P.

1898–1918

Clarke’s Hall
Revd Richard F. Clarke, S.J., Licensed Master (1898–1900)
Revd John O’Fallon Pope, Temporary Master (1901–1902)

Pope’s Hall
Revd John O’Fallon Pope, Master (1903–1918)

1919–1935

Campion Hall
(and at 13 St Giles)

1936–today

St John’s House
Part of St John’s College

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home