Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors


The Town Halls of the City of Oxford

Until 1229 the Mayor and Burgesses of Oxford met at an old portmote (also called “Gildalla”) in St Martin’s Churchyard. By the reign of Henry II, this building had become too small, and an ancient hall called Jews Hall (opposite the present town hall) was converted into a Guildhall.

Since then the city has had three purpose-built town halls, all on the same site at the north-east end of St Aldate’s.


The Guildhall
The First Guildhall and
Domus Conversorum


Old Town Hall

Thomas Rowney’s
Town Hall


New Town Hall

The present
Town Hall

(built in 1897)


©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 29 September, 2012

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home