Oxford History: Mayors & Lord Mayors

Back
Forwards

John Pady (d. c.1230)

Mayor of Oxford 1227–1229


John Pady (or Padi) was the son of Geoffrey Pady. His father was on one occasion referred to as Geoffrey son of Padi, implying that he was the first to bear the surname.

Pady was Mayor of Oxford from 1227 to 1229. He owned the building that later became the Mitre Inn, then in St Mildred's parish

He had at least two sons, Philip Pady and John Pady junior

† John Pady remained Mayor until he died in 1230. (The earliest Mayors of Oxford held office for life.)


John Pady's children
  • Philip Pady owned the Mitre Inn in Henry III’s reign and was a witness to a number of charters. He bought land in Cassington before 1252. Anthony Wood records that on his death in about 1255 he gave the Rector of All Saints (William Dunham) a house in St Mildred’s parish near to that church, “that his anniversary of his death might be performed by the canons of this place”. His heir was John Pady, then John's son Edmund Pady, and then Henry Pady.
    Anthony Wood also mentions that Nun Hall was formerly known as “domus Pady”, “from one that owned it in King Henry III’s raigne” (1207–1272).
  • John Pady junior is probably the man of that name who was Bailiff on the council in 1258, 1259, and 1263.

The surname of Pady has not been found in Oxford since the thirteenth century. Christine Pady, who married first the Mayor Laurence Kepeharm (Mayor 1205 to 1207) and secondly the Bailiff Jordan Rufus) was the daughter of Ralph Pady, and is likely to have been a cousin of John Pady.


See also:

  • The Surnames of Oxfordshire, p. 27

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 13 January, 2020

Oxford Mayors home Small Shark Oxford History home