CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

2 Cornmarket Street: Pret à Manger


2 Cornmarket

This building was in the parish of St Martin's (Carfax) until that church was demolished in 1896, whereafter it was in the parish of St Martin's & All Saints until All Saints Church closed in 1971. It is now in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate.

Davis's shop at 2 Cornmarket

There appear to have been two shops on this site until the 1850s, when the publisher Alfred Richard Mowbray had his shop here. On 27 April 1867 a forthcoming auction of this shop by direction of the executors of the late Richard Young was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal, and it was described thus:

All those commanding FREEHOLD BUSINESS PREMISES, known as No. 2, Corn Market-street (opposite the Oxford Journal Office), in the very centre of Oxford, and comprising a capital Double-fronted SHOP, six rooms on the fist, second, and third floors, kitchen and cellar in the basement, let on a repairing lease to Mr. Mowbray, photographer, for a term of 14 years, from 21st December 1866, at a rental of £100 per annum.—This Property is subject to a Land Tax of £2 2s. 2d. per annum.

By the time of the 1871 census the brush & comb maker Richard E. Farrant occupied this shop.

George Davis

From 1890 this was the fancy goods shop of George Davis.

The 1891 census shows Davis  living here with his wife Matilda and their son George, plus a hospital nurse and a servant. He died here shortly after the census at the age of 52 on 4 May 1891, but his wife Matilda continued to run the business until her own death at the age of 71 in 1904. The business survived until 1911, and produced many postcards of the City of Oxford, including the “Americans in Oxford” cartoon series.

The postcard detail on the right shows this shop in c.1905 with the name DAVIS'S over the front. It then had four floors rather than the present three. Another view of Davis's shop in c.1900 can be seen here.

In 1911 the shop underwent a total renovation by the builder G. J. Ashley, and Davis's published a postcard showing the scaffolding decorated with flags for the coronation of George V on 22 June.

By January 1912 the hatter Frederick Margetts had moved from No. 12 Cornmarket into this renovated shop, and his business was still here in 1958: photograph from the 1940s

Occupants of 2 Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

1839–1841

Henry Reynolds
Tobacconist

George Thompson
Fishmonger (was at these premises
from at least 1835 to 1844)

1843

James Gillham & Co.
Boot & shoe manufacturers

1844, 1845

Noah Pattenden, Draper
(moved to 38 Queen Street on 8 April 1845)

William Denyer
Saddler

1846

William & Charles Wells, Jewellers

1850–1852

Abraham Zacharias
Silversmith, jeweller, and watch & clock maker

1858–1867

A. R. Mowbray, Photographer, bookseller etc

1871–1882

Richard E. Farrant, Brush & comb maker, fancy repository, and sponge importer

1890–1911

George Davis, Fancy repository/Fancy Stores

Underwent a major renovation in 1911 reducing the number of storeys from four to three

1912–1958

Frederick A. Margetts, Hatter

1960–1988+

Watches of Switzerland Ltd (photograph)

1995–present

Pret à Manger (with abandoned Veggie Pret à Manger trial for seven months in 2023)

2 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1841

(probably) Henry Reynolds (35), described as a hair cutter, lived here with Emma (25), Henry (7), and Emma (3).

1851

Described as “uninhabited”. (The jeweller Abraham Zacharias who then had this shop was living in Paradise Square.)

1861

Alfred R. Mowbray (36), photographer, bookseller, and stationer, lived here over his shop with his wife Susan (31) and their children Alfred (11), Samuel (10), Florence (4), and Gertrude (2): only the youngest daughter was born in Oxford, suggesting that they moved here in about 1859. They had no servants

1871

Richard Farrant (65), carpenter & cabinet maker, lived here with his wife Hannah (65) and their unmarried daughters Harriet (30) and Eliza (28), who looked after the brush and fancy repository downstairs.

1881

Richard Farrant (75), a retired cabinet maker, was still living here with his unmarried daughter Harriett (39) who was now the shop manager and the employer of one assistant and one boy. They had one female servant.

1891

George Davis (52), a fancy warehouseman, lived here over his shop with his wife Matilda (58) and their son George (21), who was an assistant in the shop. They had a sick nurse in residence for George Davis senior, who would be dead within a month, and a domestic servant.

1901

Matilda Davis (68), a widowed fancy goods shopkeeper, lived here with one servant.

1911

No listing: undergoing renovation.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home