Oxford History: City Wall

Back
Next

St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church


St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church was left intact when the North Gate was pulled down in 1771. Of the four churches stationed at the main town gates, two remain (the other being St Peter-in-the-East Church), but this is the only one still functioning as a church.

Its Saxon tower dates from around 1050, which makes it the oldest building in Oxford.

Following the closure of St Martin’s Church at Carfax and then St Martin and All Saints Church in the High, St Michael-at-the-Northgate is now the City Church.

St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church

St Michael inscription

Left: The north wall of the small garden area beside the church was erected in 1912 on the site of the city wall by the Pearson family of Boswell's, and they put up this plaque (more information).

 

Below: Engraving showing St Michael’s Church in 1834, looking down Ship Street.

St Michael's Church in 1834

Victoria County History:
St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church


Next: Broad Street Next

© Stephanie Jenkins

City Wall home Small Shark Oxford History home