BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 23–25: Cool Britannia

23-25 Broad Street

 

Nos. 23, 24, and 25 occupy a late eighteenth-century building which is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1185366)

This building is owned by Oxford City Council

 

No. 23 on the right had an extra storey in the mid-twentieth century, shown in this 1949 photograph.
This was removed in 1998

 

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford the three houses were occupied as follows:

No. 23: Mr Davenport, with its frontage measured as 4yd x 2ft 3in.

Nos. 24 & 25: Mrs Doe, with their joint frontage measured as 9yd 2ft 0in

Nos. 23 & 24 (left)

These were separate until at least 1852 . At the time of the 1841 census No. 23 (probably just the upstairs) was occupied by Elizabeth Forster. She was still there in 1851, a blind lady of 80 described as a proprietor of houses, with a lodger and her servant. In 1851 Thomas Shrimpton, a bookseller, lived over his shop at No. 24 with his dressmaker wife, three children, a lodger, and a house servant.

By 1861 Thomas Shrimpton, now described as “Book and print seller and publisher” occupied both the ground floor and the living accommodation upstairs of Nos. 23 & 24. His son Alfred Thomas Shrimpton, aged 19, was then described as a bookseller’s assistant. By 1881 Alfred was in charge of the business, and occupied the premises over No. 23 and 24 with his sister and a general servant. He was described as a bookseller employing two men and four boys.

No. 25 (the two shops on the right)

In 1851, Thomas Mucklow, a chemist and druggist, lived over No. 25 with his wife, two children, and a cook and a housemaid.

On 24 September 1853 No. 25 was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal as being to let with immediate possession. It was described as a house and premises with a good shop front.

In 1861 the premises were occupied by the confectioner, Charles Lacey, and his family, plus a lodger and a servant.

In 1881, William H. Walker, a tailor, lived here with his wife, three sons, and a general servant.

Occupants of 23–25 Broad Street listed in directories

Dates

23 & 24

25

1852–1901

Thomas & George Shrimpton
later
Thomas Shrimpton & Son
Booksellers

(at No. 24 only until after 1852;
at both 23 & 24 by 1861)

1852–1872:
Charles Lacey, Confectioner

1876:
Thomas Pegrum, Confectioner

1880–1939:
William Henry Walker Ltd
Tailor

1902–1939

1902–1928
Hubert Giles
, Bookseller
(with 22 next door)

1929–1939
Frank A. Wood, Bookseller
(with 22 next door)

1941

No listing

 

1943–1949

Chiswell’s Ltd, Antique dealers

Citizens Advice Bureau &c.

1952–1960

Frank A. Wood, Bookseller & Stationer
(plus Blackwell Scientific Publications from 1954)

1961–1968

The Paperback Shop

1969–c.2000

The Paperback shop (Blackwell’s)

c.2000–2013

Blackwell’s Music Shop (moved from Holywell Street): press report

2013–2014

Vacant (Planning application approved in 2014 to turn top two floors
into residential apartments)

2014–

Cool Britannia

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home