Oxford History: George Street

Back
Next

Pictures of George Street on Historic England website


The first seven photographs below were taken by the Oxford photographer Henry Taunt.

1875 (HT01635)
Dilapidated houses in George Street that were demolished to make way for the Boys' High School in 1878

1876 (HT03573)
Workmen demolishing the old building that stood in Victoria Place off George Street

1907 (CC72/02387)
Looking along the south side of George Street after snow. On the left is part of The Grapes pub at No. 7. Then James Rogers, the artist & craftsman in wood at Nos. 9 & 11, has a notice on the window announcing that he was in the process of moving to 51 High Street. Then come the bootmakers Baxter & Son at No. 13, the tailors Millin & Booker at No. 15, and the hairdresser Frederick William Couldrey at No. 17. The next building clearly marked 19 on the side at the top is William Baker's cabinet factory:

and very similar scene photographed at the same time: (CC72/00793) :

1907 (CC50/00507)
St George the Martyr Church/Chapel (demolished in 1935 to make way for a cinema)

1912 (CC72/00908)
Shops and warehouses at the north-east end of George Street. On the right are the tailors Millin & Booker & No. 15, then E. de la Mare at Nos. 13 & 11, Knight & Co. at No. 9, the Grapes at No. 7, and then No. 5A with the name of Tims Leather merchants upstairs.

1920 (CC73/00439)
Looking east up George Street from Hythe Bridge Street. The tower of the Boys' High School can be seen in the distance:

The following photograph was taken by Herbert Fenton for publication in three architectural journals::

1934 (CC47/02418) The present New Theatre, built the previous year

 

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 1 December, 2024

Headington home Small Shark Oxford History home