No. 19: Café Crème

No. 19 on the right is part of the same building as No. 20 on the left, and they are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1185358). They date from about 1700, but have been remodelled.
This building is owned by Oxford City Council and is in St Michael-at-the-Northgate parish.
At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford Nos. 19 & 20 formed one house occupied by a Mrs Baggs, with its frontage measuring seven yards exactly.
The 1841 census appears to show the tailor James Price living here with his wife Martha and children James (9), Martha (7), Mary (5), Sarah (2), and Catherine (ten months), plus their lodger.
In Jackson's Oxford Journal of 1 February 1851, John Prentice, who described himself as a general and furnishing ironmonger, smith, tinman and brazier, brush factor, oil, and colourman, announced that he had taken over this shop at 19 Broad Street, and that as well as retail sales he undertook gas fitting and bell-hanging, and that there was also a register Oxford for servants here. The 1851 census two months later shows Prentice living here with his wife and two grown-up daughters.
On 27 March 1858 the following advertisement appeared in Jackson's Oxford Journal:
TO be LET, with immediate possession,—The HOUSE and PREMISES, No. 19, Broad-street, containing front shop, two sitting rooms, three bed rooms, and kitchen to basement.
In the same edition the hatter & hosier John Horn announced that he was about to move to this shop from 30 St Aldate's Street. He did not stay long, however, as on 10 November 1860 the business was advertised as being available for immediate possession, in consequence of the present proprietor leaving.
The 1861 census shows John Piper, a tailor and hosier, living over his shop here with his wife and three children.
On 22 August 1868 the lease of this shop was again advertised for sale in Jackson's Oxford Journal:
HOUSE, with FRONT SHOP,
No. 19, Broad Street….
This Property is well situated for business, and is now occupied by Mr. Walker, tailor. The House comprises front shop and work shop on the ground floor, sitting room and three bed rooms above, and kitchen and scullery in the basement. It is held from the City of Oxford for a term of 40 years from Lady Day, 1865 subject to a Quit Rent of 11s., a Capon or 2s 6d., and Land Tax, 1l. 0s 6d.
At the time of the 1871 census No. 19 was occupied by the tailor William H. Walker and his wife and two children, plus their servant.
On 12 April 1879 W. B Cunningham junior, who had traded next door at 20 Broad Street but was now living at 21 Beaumont Buildings, advertised both 19 & 20 Broad Street (two separate houses with shops) for sale.
By 19 June 1880, when his daughter was born here, the shop was occupied by the tobacconist George Edward Dorrell, and the 1881 census shows him living here with his wife and baby daughter and their 13-year-old servant.
There was no one living at the shop at the time of the 1891, 1901, and 1911 censuses.
Photograph of 19 Broad Street in the 1980s,
when it was Stamp the tailor.
|
Occupants of 19 Broad Street listed in directories etc |
|
1841 |
James Price, Tailor |
1846 |
George King, Bootmaker |
1850–1851 |
John Prentice, Ironmonger |
1852 |
Ann Coker, Milliner & dressmaker |
1858–1860 |
John Horn, Hatter, hosier, &c. |
1861 |
John Piper, Tailor & hosier |
1867–1876 |
William H. Walker, Tailor & Robe maker |
1880–1881 |
George Edward Dorrill, Tobacconist |
1882–1887 |
H. R. Saunders, Tobacconist & cigar merchant |
1888–1894 |
Pell & Pitt, Milliners & Costumiers |
1894–1895 |
F. Crow & Son, Wool merchant |
1895–1898 |
Miss S.E. Berrill, Milliner |
1899 |
G. I. L. Long, Confectioner |
1899–1902 |
Hamlet & Dulake, Auctioneers |
1903–1909 |
William Hunt, Typewriter dealer & City Typewriting Office |
1910–1932 |
Frank Thomas Long, Cutler (and Ladies & gents’ hairdresser in 1932 only) |
1934–1939 |
Feilding & Moore, Furniture dealers |
1941–1975 |
G. E. Taylor, Tailor & robe maker |
1980–2004 |
Stamp of Oxford Ltd, Tailors |
2005–present |
Café Crème |