Poppy logo

Oxford War Memorials: Balliol Boys' Club

Balliol Boys' Club was formed in 1907 when a group of Balliol undergraduates decided to start a club for the boys of the deprived parish of St Ebbe's, and it began life in a former sweet factory in Littlegate Street.

A new club house was opened in Blackfriars Road, St Ebbe's on 19 November 1921 and named after Keith Rae, President of the Balliol Boys' Club in 1909–10, who had been killed in the First World War. More information about the club can be found here.

This memorial, a wooden board with gold lettering, was originally on the wall of Keith Rae House, but when that building was demolished in the 1960s as part of the redevelopment of St Ebbe's, it had to be moved, and it is now on the wall of Balliol Archives (formerly St Cross Church).

Rae's name appears on the board, and the individual memorial to Rae that was also on the wall of the club house is now in the snooker room of Wolvercote Boys' Club.

On the memorial itself, the 39 names comprise twelve Balliol undergraduates, 26 boys from the St Ebbe's area of Oxford, and one man who was included in error. They are listed in alphabetical order with no differentiation (except that the boys are often listed with the abbreviated forename by which they were known, e.g. Fred, Jack, Mannie, Reg, Ted, Tom, Will).

In the list below, the undergraduates (the names transcribed on the left in lighter italic type) have not been covered, as full details about them can easily be found in the Balliol College War Memorial Book, which is online here. This webpage deals only with the city boys.

Key:

  • OJI = Portrait photograph available in the Oxford Journal Illustrated
  • WM = War Memorial
  • CWGC = Individual page on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website
  • City Roll = “Roll of the Citizens of Oxford who Fell in the Great War 1914–1918” (kept in the City Church of St Michael-at-the Northgate" and displayed in its entirety here)

Introduction

1914 [Crest] 1918

THESE ARE THE MEMBERS OF
THIS CLUB WHO FELL IN THE
GREAT WAR: THEIR NAMES ARE
HERE RECORDED THAT THOSE WHO
COME AFTER MAY NOT FORGET

Adam to Buckland

ARTHUR ADAM
SIDNEY ALDER
ALBERT BENNETT
ROBERT BRANDT
DAVID BROWN

ERNEST BUCKLAND

Poppy Sidney Alder (20)
17 Friars Street
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (25 Nov 1914)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy Albert Edward Bennett (19)
28 Blackfriars Road
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (16 Jun 1915)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy Ernest Walker Buckland (26)
6 Abbey Place
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (6 Sep 1916)
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Buckland to Drewitt

FRED BUCKLAND
ARTHUR CHURCH
WILL CLACK
SPENCER COMPTON
JACK COWLES
ALBERT DREWITT

Poppy Fredrick Harvey Buckland (21)
6 Abbey Place
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (30 Dec 1914)
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Poppy Arthur Church
Friars Street
CWGC / Not on City Roll / OJI (28 Mar 1917)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy William Charles Clack
Blackfriars Road
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (23 May 1917)
Also listed on OUP war memorial
and on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy John Arthur Cowles (21)
5 Sadler Street until he moved to Canada in 1913
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (5 July 1916)
See some of his letters

Poppy Albert F. Drewitt (or Drewett) (26)
Christ Church Buildings
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (17 Oct 1917)

Hall to Hewitt

FRED HALL
ANDREW HENDERSON
STEPHEN HEWITT

Poppy Frederick William Hall, MM (23)
2 Friars Wharf
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (16 May 1917)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Holloway to Jaycock

SAM HOLLOWAY
FRANK HUNT
FRED HUTCHINGS
RICHARD HYMUS
CHARLES JAYCOCK

Poppy Sam Holloway
CWGC not identified / Not on City Roll
Is he the Christopher Holloway of 2 Gas Street
(born 1898) who is on the Holy Trinity memorial?

Poppy Frank William Broadway Hunt (23)
Friars Street
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (10 Oct 1917)
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Poppy Frederick William Hutchings
Bridport Street
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (13 Sep 1916)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy Richard Hymus
CWGC not found / Not on City Roll
Richard Whiffin Hymus (born Oxford 1890) was the brother of Edward Hymus who was living at 10 New Street, St Ebbe's in 1911

Poppy Charles Henry Jaycock (22)
16 Blackfriars Road
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (6 Jun 1917)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Mann to Prowse

JAMES S. MANN* Footnote: * Mesopotamia 1920
ALBERT MILLS
RICHARD PINSENT
RONALD POULTON

JAMES PROWSE

Poppy Albert Mills
CWGC not identified / Not on City Roll
Is he the J. Mills of Bridport Street in OJI?

Poppy Francis James Prowse (25)
Bridge Street
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (27 Nov 1918)
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Radbone to Reiss

ROBERT RADBONE
KEITH RAE
FRANK RANDALL
STEPHEN REISS

Poppy Robert Radbone
CWGC not found / Not on City Roll
Could this be (Harold) James Radbone?
If so, on Holy Trinity WM and in OJI, living in Friars Street

Poppy (Charles) Frank Randall (25)
CWGC / City Roll
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Sims to end

THOMAS SIMS
STANLEY SLATTER
[FRANK SLATTER: included in error]
HAROLD SMITH
TOM SMITH
MANNIE THOMAS
REG WAKELIN
GRAEME WEST
FRED WOODLEY
TED READ

Poppy Thomas Sims
CWGC / City Roll (Simms)

Poppy Stanley Slatter (22)
19 Gas Street
CWGC / Not on City Roll / OJI (21 Jun 1916)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy Harold Smith
CWGC / City Roll
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Poppy Thomas Smith (22)
4 Wood Street
CWGC / Not on City Roll
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Poppy Mannie Thomas
Not found in CWGC / Not found on City Roll

Poppy Reginald Justin William Wakelin (19)
2 Union Place, Clark's Row, St Aldate's
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (16 May 1917)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

Poppy Frederick Arthur Woodley (22)
8 Charles Street, St Ebbe's
CWGC / City Roll / OJI (5 Dec 1917)
Also listed on St Ebbe's Church WM

Poppy Edward John Read (24)
29 Friars Wharf
CWGC / City Roll (Reade) / OJI (7 Nov 1917)
Also on Holy Trinity Church WM: BIOGRAPHY

This memorial on the Database of the Imperial War Museums: Balliol Boys Club
Not listed on War Memorials online

Back to Oxford War Memorials

Please email if you can add anything to this information

© Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 18 September, 2017

War Memorials home    Oxford History home