Back
Next

Oxford boundary markers: Rose Hill (1635)


Mileway stone on Henley Road

 

H E R E  [ E N D E T H]
IFLY  H Y
W A Y   1 6 3 5

 

Grade II listed:
List Entry No 1046588

 

This is the oldest highway stone in Oxfordshire, and also one of the oldest in the country.

 

It is on the south-west side of Rose Hill, at the north-east corner of the boundary wall of Denton House (opposite Church Cowley Road).

 

This is part of the road from Oxford to London via Henley. Originally this road branched off Cowley Road near the present Circus Street to reach what is now the Iffley Road, but was later extended to the Plain.

 

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

Stephanie Jenkins