Back
Next

Inscriptions: Finish stone for Torpids and Eights


End of races on Isis

 

THE FINISH STONE
TORPIDS AND EIGHTS

In memory of
COLIN COX

1943 [crossed oars] 1999

Oarsman and Boatman
dedicated to
club and college
rowing

EN OPTIME FACIET!
[Lo, he will do best!]

 

This stone is on the towpath of the Isis, opposite the college boathouses, and was erected by The Queen's College.

 

Torpids are held in the seventh week of HIlary Term, and Eights Week in the fifth week of Trinity term.

 

Colin Cox, known as Cocker, grew up in Oxford and joined the Falcon Rowing Club at the age of ten in c.1953, later joining Abingdon Rowing Club. After working for the water board and at the car works he became College Waterman for Oriel, Queen's, and Lincoln, and also assisted Osler.

Stephanie Jenkins