Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: William Morris, Lord Nuffield


William Morris

 

WILLIAM
MORRIS
VISCOUNT
NUFFIELD
1877•1963
MOTOR
MANUFACTURER
AND GENEROUS
BENEFACTOR

This plaque with a portrait and inscription about Lord Nuffield is on the Oxford Crown Court new buildings in St Aldate’s, to the south of the main Crown Court.

These newer buildings, which were opened by the Lord Chancellor Lord Hailsham on 4 October 1985 and contain five courts, retain much of the façade of the old Morris Motors showrooms built in 1932:

Image on PictureOxon of the old showrooms

There is also a blue plaque to William Morris on his home in James Street, and an engraving in the glass of the door of the shop at 48 High Street, which reads as follows:

WILLIAM RICHARD MORRIS
later
LORD NUFFIELD
1877–1963
first used this shop in his business
as a cycle maker and repairer from which
developed the motor car enterprise which
 was to benefit millions by the philanthropic 
benevolence of its founder.

 


Wikipedia:
William Morris, 1st Viscount Nuffield

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013