Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: St Paul's Vicarage, Observatory Street


St Paul's Vicarage

A. M. D. G.

POSUIT
EP[ISCOPU]S RADINGENSIS
AD XVI KAL SEP MCMV

To the greater glory of God
the Bishop of Reading
laid [this stone]
on 17 August 1905

A.M.D.G. stands for "Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam" and the date
A[nte] D[iem] XVI Kal[endas] Sep[tembres] MCMV
means sixteen days before the Kalends (1st) of September 1905 (counting inclusively as the Romans did)

This inscription is on a small stone near the ground on the right-side front wall of the former St Paul's vicarage, built in 1905 at 1A Observatory Street.

The Bishop of Reading served the Diocese of Oxford as a Suffragan Bishop, and in 1905 the position was held by Leslie Randall.

St Paul's Church closed in 1964, and this house ceased to be a vicarage shortly afterwards.

The inscription can be seen to the left of the base of the lamppost in the Google StreetView below:

Stephanie Jenkins