Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Modern plaques on laboratories in South Parks Road


Royal Society of Chemistry plaque on former Dyson Perrins Laboratory
(now the Oxford University Centre for the Environment)

Dyson Perrins Laboratory

 

Royal Society of Chemistry
National Historical Chemical Landmark

Dyson Perrins Laboratory
University of Oxford

This laboratory was a major centre for Organic Chemistry from 1916–2003

It had only four Heads in that time, the Waynflete Professors W H Perkin Jnr, Sir Robert Robinson OM, Sir Ewart Jones, and Sir Jack Baldwin

Sir Robert was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1947 for work done here
on natural products

24 September 2004

Association of Jewish Refugees plaque on the New Biochemistry building

Krebs on Biochemistry building

 

ERECTED BY
THE ASSOCIATION OF JEWISH REFUGEES

PROFESSOR
SIR HANS KREBS
FRS
1900 - 1981

Biochemist & discoverer
of the Krebs cycle

Nobel Prize Winner
1953

Worked here 1954 - 1967

 

 

This was unveiled in May 2013 on the
newly rebuilt Department of Biochemistry.
Although its address is 3 South Parks Road,
it is actually behind the laboratories
fronting the road and near Sherrington Road

 

See also the Oxfordshire Blue Plaque
on Professor Sir Hans Krebs' home in Iffley

 


Two Physiological Society plaques on the Sherrington Building

Announcement of 12 March 2021 by the Department of Physiology, Anatomy, and Genetics (DPAG) about the two plaques to be erected on the Sherrington Buidling

Announcement of 24 June 2021 by the Physiological Society about its new commemorative plaque scheme, inaugurated with the unveiling of the two plaques below in Oxford on 23 June 2021

Buchanan plaque

 

THE PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Florence Buchanan
(1867–1931)
Pioneering Physiologist
First woman proposed in 1912 to become
a member of the Physiological Society (1915)

 

Worked in the Laboratory of Physiology from 1894–1904
and Oxford Museum Laboratory 1904–13.
Noted for her discoveries on the transmission of reflex
impulses in mammals, birds and reptiles, and the
neural control of the heartbeat during exercise.
She was the first woman to attend a
meeting of The Society in 1896.

[Physiological Society logo]

 

Wikipedia entry:
Florence Buchanan

Sherrington plaque

 

THE PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Sir Charles Sherrington
(1857–1952)
OM, PRS
Physiologist and Nobel Laureate

Worked on this site as Waynflete Professor of
Physiology from 1913–36 and shared the Nobel
Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Edgar
Adrian in 1932 for their discoveries regarding
the functions of neurons. Sherrington laid the
foundation for our understanding of the
central nervous system.

[Physiological Society logo]

 

Wikipedia entry:
Charles Scott Sherrington


Three Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) plaques on the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory

Glucose sensor

 

 

 

RSC | Advancing the Chemical Sciences
National Chemical Landmark

Glucose sensor

In this laboratory on 20th July 1982,
Allen Hill, Tony Cass and Graham Davis
made the crucial discovery which led to
the development of a unique electronic
blood glucose sensor now used by
millions of diabetics worldwide.

16 July 2012

Hodgkin

 

 

ROYAL SOCIETY
OF CHEMISTRY

National Chemical Landmark

Dorothy Crowfood Hodgkin
OM FRS
(1910–1994)
Led pioneering work in this building from 1956–1972 and elsewhere in Oxford on the structures of antibiotics, vitamins and proteins including penicillin, vitamin B12 and insulin, using X-ray diffraction techniques for which she received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1964

6 May 2014

 

Goodenough

 

 

RSC | Advancing the Chemical Sciences
National Chemical Landmark

Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory

where in 1980, John B. Goodenough with
Koichi Mizushima, Philip C. Jones and
Philip J. Wiseman identified the cathode material that enabled
development of the rechargeable
lithium-ion battery.
This breakthrough ushered
in the age of portable
electronic devices.

30 November 2010

Inorganic Chemistry Laborator


The middle plaque above appears to have replaced the 2001 plaque shown below

Dorothy Hodgkin


National Historic Chemical Landmark

The work of Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin
at the University of Oxford

In this building from 1956–1972 and at other
times elsewhere in the Oxford Science Area,
Professor Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin,
(1910–1994) OM, FRS, Nobel Laureate, led pioneering work on the structures of antibiotics, vitamins and proteins, including penicillin, vitamin B12 and insulin, using X-ray diffraction techniques. Many methods for solving crystal structures were developed taking advantage of digital computers from the very earliest days. The work provided a basis for much of present day molecular structure driven molecular biology and medicinal chemistry.

                14 May 2001               RS•C

Stephanie Jenkins