Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Clarendon Laboratory


Inscription on Clarendon Laboratory

 

[Arms of Drapers’ Company, with motto
“UNTO GOD ONLY BE HONOUR AND GLORY”]

The Worshipful Company of DRAPERS of
the City of LONDON erected
this building for the promotion of
the Study of Electrical Science and
presented it to the Chancellor Masters
and Scholars of the University of Oxford
on the 21st day of June A.D. 1910.

Keddey May Fletcher   Master

John Barrow, Bernard Francis Harris,
Webster Glynes, Gerald Walton Williams   Wardens

Ernest Henry Pooley   Clerk

 

This inscription is on the Electrical Laboratory (designed by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson) that was built in 1908–1910 and attached to the Old Clarendon Laboratory by a bridge. It is now the Townsend Building.

The Old Clarendon Laboratory was named after Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, whose trustees paid £10,000 for the building. It was completed in 1872 and was the oldest purpose-built physics laboratory in England.

Substantially enlarged, it is now part of the Oxford Earth Sciences Department.

Plaque to Moseley

 

RSC | Advancing the Chemical Sciences

Clarendon Laboratory

where H G J Moseley (1887–1915) completed his
pioneering studies on the frequencies of
X-rays emitted from the elements.
His work established the concept of atomic number
and helped reveal the structure of the atom.
He predicted several new elements and
laid the ground for a major tool
in chemical analysis.

24 September 2007

 

Royal Society of Chemistry plaque on the former Clarendon Laboratory

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013