Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: OBLI, Cowley Barracks site, James Wolfe Road


Top of plinth (giving history of the site)

Top of plinth at Cowley Barracks

43rd REGT OF FOOT
1741

[Symbol of Oxfordshire &
Buckinghamshire Light Infantry]      

COWLEY BARRACKS

52nd REGT OF FOOT
1755

PEGASUS BRIDGE
NORMANDY
6 JUNE 1944

DEFEAT OF THE FRENCH
IMPERIAL GUARD
WATERLOO 18 JUNE 1815

 

THIS SITE WAS THE REGIMENTAL DEPOT OF
THE OXFORDSHIRE & BUCKINGHAMSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY FROM 1876 TO  1958

THE REGIMENT WAS FORMED IN 1741

IT FOUGHT IN MANY THEATRES OF WAR AND ITS 47 BATTLE HONOURS INCLUDE
QUEBEC 1759, CORUNNA 1809, WATERLOO 1815, NONNE BOS[S]CHEN 1914,
THE SOMME 1916 AND PEGASUS BRIDGE IN NORMANDY 1944

IT RAISED 17 BATTALIONS IN WWI 1914–18 AND 10 IN WWII 1939–45

THE PLAQUE IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
ITS SERVICE FROM 1741 AND THE 5,878 OF ITS SOLDIERS WHO FELL IN WW1 AND 1,408
IN WWII, MANY OF WHOM TRAINED AT THESE BARRACKS

POST WWII SOME 5000 NATIONAL SERVICEMEN ALSO COMPLETED THEIR RECRUIT
TRAINING HERE

IN 1966 THE REGIMENT WAS AMALGAMATED INTO
“THE ROYAL GREEN JACKETS” AND IN 2007 BECAME “THE RIFLES”

Front of plinth (remembering three OBLI soldiers who won the Victoria Cross)

Edward Brooks VC survived the First World War
John Hollington Grayburn VC was killed at Arnhem aged 26 in 1944
Alfred Wilcox VC survived the Second World War

Front of plinth

[Symbol of Victoria Cross]

COMPANY SERGEANT
MAJOR
EDWARD BROOKS VC
OXFORDSHIRE &
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
LIGHT INFANTRY
SAINT-QUENTIN
28 APRIL 1917

  

[Symbol of OBLI]

[Symbol of Victoria Cross]

LIEUTENANT
JOHN HOLLINGTON
GRAYBURN VC
OXFORDSHIRE &
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
LIGHT INFANTRY
(ATTACHED: 2 PARA)
ARNHEM
17–20 SEPTEMBER 1944

[Symbol of OBLI and of Parachute Regiment]

[Symbol of Victoria Cross]

LANCE CORPORAL
ALFRED WILCOX VC
OXFORDSHIRE &
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
LIGHT INFANTRY
LAVENTIE
12 SEPTEMBER 1918

 
 

[Symbol of OBLI]

This plinth in memory of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (43rd and 52nd) was unveiled on 16 August 2019 at the Parade Green campus of Oxford Brookes University in James Wolfe Road. This Oxford Brookes accommodation was built on the former site of Cowley Barracks, the regimental depot of the OBLI from 1876 to 1958.

Unveiling of plinth

Above: General Sir Robert (Bob) Pascoe and Normandy veteran Private Reg Charles unveil the plinth, aided by representatives of Oxford Brookes University and Unite Students.

"Cheers"

James Wolfe Road was named in December 1977 after General James Wolfe, the commander of the 43rd (later the Oxford and Bucks) Regiment who was known as “The Hero of Quebec”.

More information on Cowley Barracks


The information on the above plinth duplicates some of the information
on this simpler plaque on the wall of the barracks in Hollow Way:

Plaque on wall of Barracks

Stephanie Jenkins