No. 37A: Ertegun House

37A St Giles

No. 37A appears to have been built in 1808 on the south part of Vincent Shortland’s timber yard. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1068569) and lies in St Giles' parish.

The fact that it was not allocated a separate number of its own but was deemed to be between 37 and 38 suggests that St Giles may already have had its present numbering system as early as 1808.

It was a private house until 1919, latterly the home of the Curate of St Barnabas’ Church.



Vincent John Shortland released the plot on which this house stands together with No. 37 to the north to Daniel Turner, Esq. in 1808. The Turner family appear to have built No. 37A for themselves around this time, and then rented out No. 37.

The 1841 census shows Daniel Turner living at 37 St Giles’ Street (which is presumably a mistake for 37A, which is not otherwise listed in the census). Living with him were his daughters Maria, Ann, Caroline, Emma, and Elizabeth and two house servants. He died on 10 January 1843 at the age of 85 and was buried at St Giles’ Church a week later.

The 1851 census shows Daniel’s daughters, Caroline and Emma Turner (described as “fundholders” and then aged respectively 30 and 25) living at No. 37A with two house servants. They were to continue living in this house for another forty years.

Since 1926 it has had various business and university uses. It was occupied by Oxford University Press from 1962 to 2009, and since 2012 it has been Ertegun House.

Occupants of 37a St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories


The Misses Caroline & Emma Turner


Holy Rood
Rev. Charles Henry Bickerton Hudson, Curate of St Barnabas


University of Oxford
Institute of Agricultural Engineering


Electricity Company
Oxford Electric Co. Ltd and Wessex Electricity Co. (1936–7)
Wessex Electricity Company (1939–47)
Southern Electricity Board (1949–1952)


Regency Restaurant
and Banquet’s of Oxford Ltd, caterers
(Picture of No. 37a when it was the Regency Restaurant)

with Oxford University Press (Atlas Department) listed upstairs in 1958
and Oxford University Press (Cartographic Department) in 1960 and 1962
It is understood that the atlas/cartographic department had part of the building from 1954


OUP Cartographic Department


Oxford English Dictionary Supplement


Oxford University Press Departments:
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Music Department
Grove Dictionary of Music


University of Oxford Humanities Division


Ertegun House

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home