ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 24–29: Mathematical Institute


24-29 St Giles

The University of Oxford Mathematical Institute, shown above, was built in the mid-1960s. It replaced the six old houses numbered 24–29 St Giles Street.

No. 24 was the Windmill Inn.

In 1868 Balliol College rented the house at No. 26, renaming it Balliol Hall, to enable students of ability with limited means to study at the college.

Nos. 24, 25, and 26 were demolished in the early 1860s and rebuilt as much larger four-storey houses with extra accommodation in the roof: they were all used as university boarding houses at some point, and the Marlborough Secretarial College began life at No. 24. In 1875 the Dragon School started life in two rooms at the rebuilt No. 26, moving to 17 Crick Road in 1879 and thence to Bardwell Road in 1895.

Old houses on site

 

Left The six houses demolished to make way for the Mathematical Institute can be seen in the centre of this photograph (taken in about 1920). They are sandwiched between two existing buildings, namely Nos. 22/23 (in the right foreground, with three gables) and No. 30 (on the left on the corner Keble Road, with two gables) .

Nos. 24, 25, and 26 comprised the very large 1860s building set back from the road.

The much lower shop beyond this is No. 27, while the three-storey building to the north again comprised Nos. 28 and 29.

 

No. 24

No. 25

No. 26

1841–1852

Windmill Inn
(Henry Hutt)

Robert Adams
Butcher

William Tarrant junior
Shoemaker
(son of this William Tarrant)

1861

James Walton
Whitesmith

Richard Carter
Carpenter

Rebuilt in early 1860s

1866

Mrs Morrison

James West

Rev. T. Arnold, M.A.

1867

H.B. Spencer, M.D.

1869

Mrs Maskell

Balliol Hall:

T.H. Green, M.A.
(1869–76)

Frederick William Jenkins
(1880–4)

Mrs F.W. Jenkins
(1887–1908)

1871–1875

Rev. Joseph 
Skipper Treacher

Vicar of St John
the Baptist Church

1876

S.W. Taylor

1880–1884

Misses Fruin
(1880–95)

Miss Mary Fruin
Lodging house
1896–89

Brentford House:
Walter Green Faulks

University Lodgings
(Mrs Faulks 1894)

1895–1899

Lodging House

Mrs Phoebe Mobey

(1895–1913)

Miss E.M. Faulks
(1913–41)

1900–1908

William Simmonds
& Co.

Coal merchants

1909–18

Albert Charles Rolls
Mrs Rolls

University Lodging House

1919

Alexander John Cameron

1921–1923

Mrs Massey

1925–1927

Miss Mullett

1928

Mrs (Kil)kelly
Patrick P. Kilkelly

Ophthalmic surgeon

1932

Mrs A. Smith
Boarding house

1934–7

Mrs Blanchard

Miss J. Dunkley
Masseuse

1939

Arthur H. Hickling

1941

Marlborough Secretarial
Training School

Miss D. Hickling, Principal

1945

Miss E. A. Coombs

1947

Miss D. Hickling

Alexander B.F. Gibson
Physician & surgeon

1949–54

1956

Boris Weber

No listing

1958–60

Frederick Halcrow

Randolph Hotel
Staff Residence

1962

1964

Adrian Davies

Demolished to make way for Mathematical Institute

The low building in the middle (No. 27) was for many years a shop:

 

No. 27

No. 28

No. 29

1841

Joseph Carter
Coal merchant
(non-resident)

George Parrott
Farmer & dairyman
of 73 acres
employing 8 labourers

Esther Masham
Shopkeeper

1846

1852

Thomas Grimsley
Sculptor and patent roof
& terracotta manufacturer

Henry Emerton
Railway clerk

Academy taking boarders:
Mrs Julia Emerton

1861

Henry Jacob
Clerk to Justices

Charles Richards
Auctioneer

Mrs Ann Richards
from 1880

1866–1869

William Morley
Bookbinder

1871

Frederick Grimbley

1872

Benjamin Hart
Builder
(employing 200 hands)

Mrs Hart

Milliner

1880–4

Mrs Martin

Robert Martin
Cabinet maker

1887–1904

Thomas Howard

1906–8 Percy Halfacree
Bootmaker
1910

William John Potter
Printer

The Potter Press

1911

Ernest Henry Brownjohn
Bootmaker

1912–1914

Henry J. Potter

1915–1916

Edward Dowse
Bootmaker

Herbert James Potter

(Miss Joan Potter
from 1949)



Miss Frances A. Marzials

1918

Miss Dorothy Humphrey
Dairy

1919–1923

Colin Harse
Cycle agent

1925–6

Madame Derwent
Draper

1927

Campbell & Garrick
Dyers

1929–1939

Mrs M.A. Dorrill
Shopkeeper
Colin Harse

1941–1945

A.J. Luce
Shopkeeper
Mrs Harse

1947

Levy & Freeman
Sign writers

1949–1958

Swift School of Motoring

1960

William Holmes,
M.A., D.Phil.

David Longrigg

1962

1964

Leonardo Castillejo, M.A.

Demolished to make way for Mathematical Institute

Windmill Yard was between the Windmill at No. 24 and No. 25, and Adams Yard (presumably named after Robert Adams the butcher at No. 25, and probably the former Boot Alley) was between Nos. 25 and 26.

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home