ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

St John’s College, North Quadrangle
(formerly 5, 6, 7, & 8 St Giles' Street


St John's College north

Statue of St John the Baptist

The site of the North Quadrangle of St John's College was in St Giles' parish (unlike the main part of the college, which is in St Mary Magdalen parish. It was built in two phases:

  • 1880: George Gilbert Scott junior built the right-hand (south) section, including the gate tower, which bears the date MCMCCCLXXX over the gate. There is a statue of St John the Baptist above the gateway (right).
  • 1900: E.P. Warren built the left-hand part to the north of the tower.

Four old houses were demolished to make way for this development\;

  • Nos 5 and 6 were demolished in 1880 ready for Phase 1 to the south
  • Nos. 7 and 8 were acquired from Oriel College in 1881 but not demolished until 1899, when the building was completed.
Buildings formerly on this site

Date

No. 5

No. 6

 

No. 7

No. 8

1841

George Cox

Jonathan Cox
Manciple of St John’s

Robert Drewitt
Confectioner

Thomas Tustin (Butcher)

1846

Thomas Whitlock

John Archer

Samuel Calcutt Tustin
(Butcher)

1851–1852

James Colcutt
College Brewer

Richard Castell
Pastry cook

1861–7

James Merritt
Cook

1869

Thomas Lucas

William Simmonds & Son
(Coal merchants)

1875–6

S.T. Hughes
Clerk, St John's College

1880–1884

Demolished to make way
for first section of
St John’s new building

John Payne
Boot & shoemaker

1887

W.A. Harris
Bootmaker

1889–1899

Mrs H. Smith
Milliner

1900

Demolished for
second section

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home