ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 1: Oxford Internet Institute


1 St Giles

1 St Giles’ Street is now the northernmost part of Balliol College. The house dates from c.1820 and is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1369451). It lies in St Mary Magdalen parish.

 

The southern tenement of the Dolphin Inn stood on the site of No. 1 St Giles’ Street.

 

When the inn was sold by the city to Trinity College in 1786, this tenement passed into private hands.

The house was purchased by James Morrell (1739–1807), an attorney of Oxford. His brother Robert Morrell (1740–1812) and son Baker Morrell were then solicitors in Broad Street, but it was announced in Jackson's Oxford Journal of 12 March 1808 that their partnership would be dissolved on the 25th, and that Robert Morrell would remain in Broad Street but that Baker Morrell would transfer his business to his father's former house here. In about 1820 his son Baker Morrell demolished the old house on this site and erected the present 1 St Giles’ Street.

Baker Morrell's eldest son James Morrell junior (1802–1873) later went into partnership with him. In 1866 his younger son, Frederick Joseph Morrell (1811–1822) took over the business, in partnership with his own son Frederick Parker Morrell (1837–1908), who lived in Black Hall at the north end of St Giles' Street.

On 24 October 1874 Jackson's Oxford Journal reported that “The house lately occupied by the Rev. Mr. Jackson, of Worcester College, has been enlarged, and will be occupied by the Professor of Mathematics, Mr. Paravicini.”

In 1913 Frederick Parker Morrell’s son Philip Morrell (the husband of the infamous Lady Ottoline, transferred the property to his solicitor brother-in-law John Douglas Peel.

There had been a solicitors’ office on this site for at least 165 years when in 1989 it was acquired by Balliol College (with a 25-year leaseback agreement in favour of the occupants, Morrell, Peel, & Gamlen, Solicitors, who remained until 1999).

Since 2001 this building has been the home of the Oxford Internet Institute.

Occupants of 1 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1823–1902

Baker Morrell, Attorney (1823–1846)

Baker Morrell Esq and James Morrell jun. (1852)
Mrs Morrell (1861)

Frederick Joseph Morrell, William Biddle, R.S. Hawkins,
Solicitors
(1866)

Frederick Joseph Morrell & Frederick Parker Morrell
and R.S. Hawkins, Solicitors (1867)

Morrell & Sons, Solicitors (1869)

The Rev. W. Jackson (1866 to 1872)
Francis de Paravicini, tutor of Balliol College (1874 to at least 1880)

1902–1913

Morrell, Son, & Peel
Solicitors

1914–1999

Morrell, Peel, & Gamlen
Solicitors

2001 to present

Oxford Internet Institute

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home