OLD OXFORD

Previous
Next

Walton Street: Oxford University Press


Oxford University Press

This familiar Oxford University Press building by Daniel Robertson and Edward Blore was built between 1826 and 1832. It was thus brand new when the above engraving by J. Le Keux was published by J. H. Parker of Oxford in 1833. It is entitled “The University Printing House, from the Infirmary”.

When the Press first moved up from the Clarendon Building in Broad Street, it stood in splendid isolation in Walton Street, but the working-class suburb of Jericho soon grew up around it.

The picture of the same building shown below in 1836 was drawn by William Delamotte and engraved by Orlando Jewitt.

OUP by Delamotte

Back to “Old Oxford” home

Contact

Back to “Oxfordshire history” home