OLD OXFORD

Previous
Next

East Oxford: St John’s Home, St Mary’s Road


St John's Home

The above postcard shows St John’s Home as painted by A.W. Guest in 1918. The home was founded in St Mary’s Road, East Oxford in 1873 for people with lingering sickness or incurable diseases. On the left of the picture is the chapel, designed by Sir Ninian Comper, which was dedicated to St John the Divine and All Saints on 2 October 1907.

In 1881 the Anglican community of the All Saints Sisters of the Poor was invited to take charge of the hospital, and in 1893 they became entirely responsible for the work. Today they occupy one half of the house and run the other half as a home for about forty elderly residents.

Back to “Old Oxford” home

© Stephanie Jenkins: Contact

Back to “Oxfordshire history” home