Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

109–112: Shepherd & Woodward


109 & 110 High Street

The shops that were originally numbered 109 and 110 were obliterated by Oriel College in 1873 to make room for King Edward Street. This large building on the west corner of King Edward Street replaced the original Nos. 111 and 112, but was allocated the two missing numbers (109 and 110). This resulted in the anomaly (which still exists today) that Nos. 109 and 110 are followed immediately by No. 113 next door. But as this too is now occupied by Shepherd & Woodward who give their address as 109–113, it is not immediately obvious that two numbers have been lost.

Nos. 109–112 have always been in the parish of St Mary-the-Virgin, but No. 113 was in the parish of All Saints.


The shops on the site of King Edward Street, now obliterated,
that formerly had the numbers 109 and 110

The shop on the left-hand side (the original No.109) belonged to Balliol College, who sold it to Oriel College for £600 in 1872. Its history from 1365 onwards can be found in H. E. Salter, The Oxford Deeds of Balliol College (Oxford, 1913), pp. 204–211. The well-known Oxford baker's shop Boffin's opened here from the 1840s to the 1860s.

The shop on the right-hand side (the original No. 110) already belonged to the college. It was a grocer's shop from at least 1839 to 1870: the grocer was R. Sheen in 1839, then.Stuchbury, then William Way from 1849 to at least 1870.

The tenants of Swan Court (the entrance of which was between the old Nos. 110 and 111) and of the surrounding area were given notice in the Oxford Chronicle of 22 October 1870 that Oriel and Lincoln College intended to build this new street from High Street to Bear Lane.


The present pair of shops (curiously allocated the lost numbers 109 and 110 in 1872,
but on the site of the shops formerly numbered 111 and 112)

John Goundrey, the ironmonger whose terraced shop at No. 108 had to be demolished when the road was built beside it, moved across to the new shop on this corner, the present No. 109, as soon as it was built. The following report appeared in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 11 October 1873:

[Left side, the present 109] At the opposite corner [to the shop at 108 High Street] Mr. J. Goundry [sic], ironmonger, has had erected a house similar to Messrs. Hitchcock's, only not quite so elaborate. The ground floor and basement of the premises will be entirely taken up for business purposes, and a private entrance at the end leads to a staircase lighted from the top, which also affords an opening for ventilation. On each floor, as at Messrs. Hitchcock's, is a spacious corridor, communicating with the different rooms, which number twenty in all.

[Right side, the present 110] Adjoining Mr Goundry's house is another of the same character, but in the High-street, built for Mr. Way, grocer. The shop is 67 feet long, and has a frontage to the public footway at the rear. The kitchen and offices, together with the drawing and dining rooms, are situate on the first floor, and on the other floors are nine bed rooms and a bath room. The private entrance in the rear opens into a hall, paved with tessellated tiles, and leading to the staircase, which is of Portland stone. Lighting and ventilation are obtained to the staircase and the corridor by means of an area, 106 feet by 60 feet, open on one side all the way up, in consequence of an ancient right of light which belonged to the premises lately pulled down. This and the foregoing house have been fitted up with every convenience. Mr. Codd was the architect, and Mr. Selby the builder. Mr. Goundry's house cost a little under 3000l., while Mr. Way's came to about 1200l. The latter was opened three weeks ago.

At the time of the 1841 census the ironmonger John Hewett lived over the shop in the former No. 109 with his wife Sarah, their three-year-old son John, plus two female servants. In another part of the house lived (rather improbably) a student called Thomas Magdelli and Lord Ward, a young peer of the realm.

At the time of the 1881 census John Goundrey lived upstairs at the present 109 High Street with his wife and four children, plus a cook, a nurse, and a general servant. He is described as employing ten men and eight boys.

Next door at the present No. 110 was Mrs Elizabeth Widbin Way, a 66-year-old widowed grocer, living over the shop with her three sons and two daughters, two grandchildren, and a domestic servant. Her three sons were respectively a grocer, chemist, and a wine & spirit merchant. In 1901 Henry and James Way still lived over their shop.

Historic England: Standen & Co. at No. 110 in 1912


Shepherd & Woodward

Arthur Shepherd bought his first Oxford business from a tailor called Arthur Brockington and opened at 62 Cornmarket Street in 1877. He then moved to 6 Cornmarket, and in 1907 demolished this shop together with its neighbour at No. 8 Cornmarket to form a large new shop.

Dennis Venables was apprenticed to Arthur Shepherd in 1927, and bought his share of the partnership in 1945.

It was not until 1929 that Arthur Shepherd amalgamated his business with that of Mr Wilton Woodward who was then operating at 110 High Street, and they were able to expand into the corner shop next door at No. 109. In 1954 they also took over No. 113 on the right. The advertisement below dates from the 1950s.

Shepherd & Woodward

Shepherd & Woodward is still a family firm, owned by John and Peter Venables and their family, and they also controlled it from 1968 until their father Dennis retired in about 2000, when John Venables passed control to the present managing director, Adrian Palfreyman, the husband of his daughter Tracie.

Occupiers of the site of the present 109–112 High Street
 Darker background = former buildings on this site, now demolished

Date

Demolished for road

The new pair of shops shown above, on the site of the former
Nos. 111/112 but now renumbered 109–112

Former No. 109

Former No. 110

Present No. 109
on site of former No. 111 

Present No. 110
on site of former No. 112

1839

Edwards & Hewett, Ironmongers & Engineers
(and at 108 High Street)

R. Sheen
Grocer

John Lucas
Boot & Shoe Maker

with Joseph Bickerton
Billiard rooms in 1846

William London
Hair cutter

1841

John Hewett,
Ironmonger

Henry Gibbs
Family grocer
& tea dealer

Taken over by his assistant James Stuchberry in 1848

1846

Andrew Bridgwater
Tallow maker

1852

James Boffin
Baker
(and at Queen Street)
To 1857

––

Joseph Bickerton
Billiard room proprietor (and at Radcliffe Square)

Frederick Trash
Bookseller, stationer, printer

Chadwell Charles Bayne
Working Cutler

1866

T. B. Bickerton
Tobacconist

William Way
Grocer & tea dealer

Bickerton’s Billiard Rooms

Mrs S. Horn
Perfumer & stationer

Chadwell Baine
Working cutler

1873

King Edward Street was created, involving demolition of two shops and the rebuilding of two others

1873–1907

These two buildings no longer exist:
King Edward Street is here

John Goundrey
Ironmonger

Way & Son
Tea & Italian warehousemen

1909–1932

Joseph Vincent
Stationer

Standen & Co.
Tailors & robe makers
(to 1920)

Wilton Woodward & Co, Tailors, hosiers & robe makers
(1923–1927)

Arthur Shepherd & Woodward
incorporating Sydney Holland, Bootmaker
(1928–1931)

1932–present

Shepherd & Woodward
Tailors, robe makers, & hosiers
(together with No. 113 next door from 1954)

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 20 October, 2021

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home