OXFORD MEDICAL MEN

Previous
Next

William Woodforde (1679–1758)


William Woodforde (or Woodford) was the youngest child of the poet Samuel Woodforde (1636–1700) (see ODNB) and his second wife Mary Norton of Binstead, whom he married in 1667. He was baptised at Hartley Mauduit on 19 February 1679

In May 1685 the family went to live in Winchester, where Woodforde’s father died on 11 January 1700. Woodforde attended Winchester College, as did his stepbrother Heighes and brothers John and Robert.

Woodforde was subscribed at New College, Oxford on 10 August 1699, where he became a Fellow and obtained his BCL in 1706.

His eldest half-brother, Heighes Woodforde became Vicar of Epsom in 1704, a living which he held until his death in 1725, and the family owned Ebbisham House.

Woodforde obtained his B.Med. and D.Med. in 1724, and was appointed Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford in 1730, a position he held until his death in 1758. He did not live in Oxford, however: he was at Chichester in 1718, but some time before 1734 had taken up a tenancy of Hylands House in Epsom. By 1745 he was living in Epsom in a a messuage on the eastern side of Church Street with a coach-house and stables.

Woodforde died at Bath on 13 November 1758.

The Will of “William Woodford, Doctor of Physic of Epsom, Surrey” was deposited at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (date of probate 27 January 1759), ref. PROB 11/843.

 

 

Medical Men Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History Home