CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

24–25 Cornmarket Street: Vacant


24 Cornmarket

This building was erected in 1911 for the Capital & Counties Bank. It is owned by Jesus College.

Luff's shop at 24 Cornmarket

The above picture shows the pair of matching shops that stood at 24 and 25 Cornmarket from the early 1830s to 1911, No. 24 on the right is marked  Luff, Chemist: William Luff had this shop for over fifty years from 1836 to 1890.

The two shops were in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church, as is the present single building.

This pair of shops was advertised thus in Jackson’s Oxford Journal on 8 July 1837:

[No. 24, right] All that modern built HOUSE and PREMISES, in a first rate situation for business, erected within these few years at a great expense, and situated in the Corn Market, Oxford; containing a very good front shop, with a staircase leading to a warehouse on the first floor, excellent parlour and kitchen behind the same, with back entrance, a bow windowed front dining room and bed room on the first floor, large front bed room with dressing room adjoining, 2 bed rooms and water closet on the second floor, and bed room over, two good cellars, and other conveniences, in the occupation of Mr. Luff, chemist and druggist.

[No. 25, left] Also, the HOUSE and premises adjoining, built at the same time; containing a front shop, bow windowed dining room, 15ft. by 12ft. and 2 bed rooms on the first floor, large sitting room and 2 small bed rooms on the second floor, and a large bed room and 2 smaller ditto over the same, a kitchen in the basement with back entrance, and other conveniences, in the occupation of Mr. Irwin, hair dresser.

At the time of the 1841 census the chemist William Luff lived at No. 24 with his wife Emma and an apprentice and two lodgers, and the hair cutter Charles Irwin lived at No. 25 with Elizabeth Irwin,, a lodger, an apprentice, and a servant.


Anchor Inn

Anchor Inn

This was in the yard behind the former shops at Nos. 25 & 26 Cornmarket Street, and is marked as “Inn” in the 1876 map, right. It was numbered 25A, and its name was sometimes lengthened to the Blue Anchor.

On 23 November 1839 Jackson's Oxford Journal gave a full description of this inn, which was coming up for auction:

All that extensive and very valuable FREEHOLD INN, situate in the CORN MARKET, Oxford, known by the Sign of the ANCHOR, in the occupation of the proprietor; comprising a carriage entrance from the street and yard, on the south side of which is a range of rooms, consisting of a large parlour, bar, tap-room, store-room, and back kitchen, with large arched cellar under, and four large bed rooms over the same; also a three-stalled stable: these are detached, and approached by a flight of stairs from the yard; two large sitting rooms, harness room, and wash-house; two bed rooms on the first floor, and four bed rooms on the second floor. On the north side of the yard there is stabling for 14 horses, with lofts over, gig-house, and other conveniences.

In the 1841 census it is named the Queen’s Arms, but this seems to have been a temporary aberration, possibly reflecting the recent coronation of Queen Victoria). The innkeeper Benjamin Huslam then lived here with his wife Louisa and their four children, plus several lodgers and two servants.

On 14 September 1897 J. Penn announced in Jackson's Oxford Journal that he had taken over the Anchor Inn in Cornmarket, adding:

The House having been thoroughly repaired, the Bed-Chambers are fitted up and furnished in a Manner so as to render them comfortable and agreeable. The Stabling, which is extensive and convenient, together with large Store Rooms adjoining, he has also had put in good Repair, and made quite complete for the Accommodation of Horses standing at Livery.


25 when it was a bank

25 Cornmarket

 
Capital & Counties Bank

In 1901 the Capital & Counties Bank moved into Luff’s old shop at No. 24, and within ten years later took over No. 25.

Both shops and the Anchor Inn behind were demolished by 1911 to make way for their new enlarged bank.

In 1918 the Capital & Counties Bank was amalgamated with Lloyds, and in about 1919 this branch closed down.

 

 

 

 

Left: The Capital & Counties Bank in its new 1911 building at 24–25 Cornmarket

 

Right: Burger King in the same building in February 2009.

 

 

Jesus College extensively restored this bloc

 

 


Fuller’s Café

By 1921 Fuller's Café (shown below) had moved into the former bank premises at 24/25 Cornmarket Street, and remained until 1972.

Fullers

It has been a café ever since.

Occupants of 24, 25 and 25a Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

No.

25a (behind left)

25 (left)

24 (right)

1839–1846

Anchor
 or
Blue Anchor Inn

Innkeepers 
(not subject to nineteenth-century university wine licences):

James Harrison (1823)
John Wharton (1830)
Benjamin Huslam (1841)
Thomas Morley (1841–1852)
William Nickols (1861)
Arthur Lloyd (1867)
Arthur Lloyd (1871, 1872)
George Strainge (1880–1884)
Jane Dickens (1887)
John Baylis (1890–1905)

Charles IrwinHair cutter to 1841
Fred. Irwin, Hair cutter from 1841

William Luff
Chemist

(by 1836)

1851

James Sparrow
Milliner & mercer (1851)

Mary Ann Sparrow
Milliner & Dressmaker (1852)

1867–1871

John G. Miller
Working jeweller

1872

Frederic Blagrove
Watch & clock maker,
jeweller, etc.

1890

Frank Thomas Long
Cutler

1899

Clarence P. A. Morrison
Chemist

1901–1902

Capital & Counties Bank

1903–1905

1909

Frank Smith refreshment rooms

Nos. 24 &, 25A were demolished by 1903 and rebuilt as one shop, numbered 24

1911–c.1918

Capital & Counties Bank Ltd

with Stafford House, a private boarding house in 1914

1921–1972

Fuller’s Ltd., Confectioners

(with bootmakers Lambert in 1947 and Lotus & Delta Ltd in 1952,
possibly in the yard behind?)

1973–1976

Kardomah Restaurant

1981

Burgerland

1984

Huckleberry’s Ltd

1990– 2020

Burger King

2020–present

Vacant

24–25 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1841

No. 24: William Luff (30), a chemist lived here with his siblings Emma Luff (25) and Richard Luff (15). Two “independent” people also lived over the shop: Samuel Baker (53) and John Baker (16).

No. 25: Charles Irwin (30), a hair cutter, lived here with Elizabeth (35). Also in the household is apprentice Henry Fox (15), and independent lodger, and one female servant.

No. 25A (pub, surprisingly named the Queen’s Arms): Benjamin Haslam (30), inn keeper, lived here with Louisa (30) and Lavinia (10), William (7), Mary (5), and Benjamin (3). There was one male and one female servant, and four other people who appear to be guests.

1851

No. 24: William Luff (40), the chemist and druggist, still lived here. Born in Abingdon, he was married to Prudence (40) and they had four children: Prudence (7), Mary (6), William (5), and Ann (1), plus one female servant. Also living with them were an “on-liking as an apprentice” called William Dalrymple, and an undergraduate of Brasenose College

No. 25: James Sparrow (38), milliner & mercer, lived here with his wife Marianne (32) and his children Marianne (15), Emily (12), Henry (11), Fanny (9), Charles (7), Frank (6), and Caroline (4); they also had four female staff members (an apprentice, two assistant milliners, and an assistant dressmaker), and one house servant.

No. 25A (pub): Not listed.

1861

No. 24: William Luff (50), chemist and druggist, lived here over his shop with his wife Prudence (50) and their five children; Prudence (17), Mary (16), William (15), Ann (11), and Elizabeth (1), plus one house servant and a 19-year-old chemist’s apprentice. They also had a lodger who was a Commoner of Exeter College.

No. 25 was occupied by the saddler Henry Adams (38) and his wife Ann (36). They had one house servant.

No. 25A (Anchor Inn): William Nickols (74), a widower and innkeeper, lived here with his daughter Mrs Harriett Boucher (37), described as a barmaid, and his granddaughter Emily Boucher (2). Nickols was the former landlord of the Star & Garter at 20 Cornmarket. Also living at the inn were a general porter, an ostler, a house servant, and a nursemaid.

1871

No. 24: William Luff (60), chemist, still lived here over his shop with his wife Prudence (60) and his children Prudence (27), Willilam (25), who was a chemist's assistant, and Elizabeth (20). They had one servant.

No. 25: John G. Miller (31), jeweller, lived here over his shop with his wife Elizabeth (26) and their children Louisa (7), Herbert (4), and Francis (3), plus his sister-in-law Miss Sarah Ann Williams (24) and his niece Louisa Faulkner.

No. 25A (Anchor pub): Arthur Lloyd (46) licensed victualler, lived here with his wife Jane (40) and one servant.

1881

No. 24: William Luff (70) was still the chemist here . He was now a widower, living with his three unmarried daughters: Prudence (37) was simply described as a chemist’s daughter; Mary (36) as a student; and Elizabeth (30) as a housekeeper. They had one servant girl, and a chemist’s assistant was boarding with them.

No. 25: Frank Long (34), a cutler, lived here over his shop with his wife Caroline (29).

No. 25A (Anchor pub): George Strange (47), innkeeper, lived here with his wife Charlotte (47), his son George (7), and stepdaughter Sarah Spencer (18). They had five boarders (an engine fitter, a porter, an inn ostler, and two seamstresses), and two lodgers (a charwoman and a 12-year-old schoolboy).
Living in a separate part was Carey Wilkins, a waiter described as “head lodger”, together with his wife Annie (40), who was a charwoman, and their children Elizabeth (14) and Charles (7).
A second “head lodger” in another subdivision of the pub was Catherine Bench, a charwoman, and her her son Alfred (26), who was a shoe maker.

1891

No. 24: William Luff (80), chemist & druggist, still lived here with his married daughter Anne Woodford (41), who acted as his housekeeper, and her three children Annie (14), William (10), and Mary (5). A chemist's assistant lived with them, and they had one servant.

No. 25: Frank Thomas Long (44), a cutler, lived here over his shop with his wife Caroline (39) and his sister Mrs Sarah Louise Howard (50). They had one domestic servant

No. 25A (Blue Anchor pub): John Baylis (41), builder & publican, lived here with his wife Eliza (41) and daughter Annie (15), who both assisted in the pub. They had one lodger.

1901

No. 24: Alexander Wilson (26), the cashier at the Capital & Counties Bank that had just moved in on the ground floor, lived here with his married sister Maggie Marwood (34) and her children Ralph (9) and Phyllis (3), plus a general servant.

No. 25: Frank Long (54), cutler, lived here over his shop with his wife Caroline (49).

No. 25A (Anchor pub): John Baylis (51), a licensed victualler, lived here with his wife Pamela (49).

SITE OF NOS. 24, 25, & 25A REDEVELOPED in 1903
1911

Nos. 24 & 25: Arthur Kippin (30) and his wife Matilda (28), both described a lodging house keepers, lived here over the new Capital & Counties Bank premises with their son Arthur (2) and two servants. Only one boarder was staying in these 17-roomed premises.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home