BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 9–10: Oxford Campus Stores

9-10 Broad Street

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford No 9 & 10 Broad Street were occupied by a Mrs Seely, with their combined frontage measured 6yd 2ft 1in.

Nos. 9 & 10 Broad Street were originally two very narrow houses.

On on 4 April 1857 Charles Taphouse opened his first piano and music shop at No. 10, but the following month his premises were partly destroyed by the big fire in Broad Street, and he moved out.

 

In 1863 this pair of houses was virtually rebuilt by the architect William Wilkinson to form one shop. A new storey was added, as well as a new red-brick and timber-framed front.

The first occupant of the new enlarged shop was Joseph Thornton, who started his well-known bookshop here before moving next door to No. 11 in 1870.

The building is owned by Oxford City Council.

 

 

 

Taunt photograph card

In 1874 the premises were further enlarged by the architect Frederick Codd to accommodate the famous photographer Henry Taunt: new waiting and dressing rooms, mounting rooms, and a gallery were built at a cost to Taunt of £1,000 (see Oxford University Herald, 24 October 1863).

Henry Taunt leased this shop from Alderman Carr from 1874 to 1894, and also ran a picture-framing manufactory in Boxall’s Yard behind. The 1881 census shows him living upstairs with his wife Miriam: he is described as an employer of eleven men, four women, and two boys.

At the end of 1894 Taunt’s lease ran out and he was forced to leave these premises: he moved to the High Street.

 

 

Right: Back of a small photograph produced by Taunt

 

 

Below: Drawing taken from a Taunt advertisement, showing what his shop looked like

Henry Taunt at 9-10 Broad Street

Howes Model shop

 

 

This was a cycle shop from 1894 to 1962.

 

From 1962 to 1996 this was Howes Model Shop (right).

 

Pictures from Historic England:

 

The area behind the present Nos. 7, 8, and 9 was a market garden from at least 1830 to 1846, belonging to the nurseryman T. Fairbairn.

Occupants of 9 & 10 Broad Street listed in directories

Date

No. 10 (left)

No. 9 (right)

To 1837

Mr Reynolds

 

1837–1839+

Thomas J. Bowell
Grocery & tea warehouse
(opened Wed 3 Oct 1837)

Mrs Bowell (1857)

Charles T.  Hawkins (1849–1864)
(probably upstairs)

1855

Ms H. F. Spiers
Tea & Italian warehouse (from January 1855)

1857

Charles Taphouse

Thomas Harris
Public library

1860–1863

Mrs Rose
Berlin warehouse

G. F. Druce
Solicitor (1858)

Jackson's Oxford Journal of 15 August 1863 announced that Mrs Rose was “obliged to remove in consequence of the house being about to be re-built. The above two shops at 9 & 10 Broad Street were rebuilt as one

1866–1869

Joseph Thornton, Secondhand book dealer

1871–1872

Last & Castell, Milliners

1875–1894

Henry Taunt, Photographers, carvers, & gilders

1896–1906

Coxeter & Sons Ltd, Cycle makers: Makers of the Abingdon cycle

1907–1917

Edwin C. Armstead, Cycle maker

1918–1939

Layton & Son, Cycle agents

1941–1960

Howes Cycles Ltd

1962–c.1996

Howes Model Shop

c.1996–present

Oxford Campus Stores

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home