BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 6: Mountain Warehouse

6 Broad Street

 

This building next-door to Boswell House dates from about 1800. It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047342), and is owned by Oxford City Council.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. The house that then stood on this site was in the occupation of a Mr George, and its frontage measured 7 yards 2 feet 6  inches.

 

This was a former book warehouse, whose premises extend as far south as Ship Street and include a bastion of the former city wall.

From 1974 the shop was used as Blackwell’s Children’s bookshop, which moved next door in 1986 when this building was taken over by the Oxford Story. It has been a shop again since 2008.

The 1841 and 1851 censuses show John Crews Dudley living in this house (which was numbered 7 before 1861). In 1851 he was a widower of 40, but his wife must have died very recently, as the youngest of his five children is only one year old. This baby, George Dennis Dudley, was to take over the business from his father in 1875.

In 1881 it was occupied by Joseph A. Muir (a tailor & outfitter employing twelve men). He lived over the shop with his wife and five young daughters, looked after by a cook and housemaid. William Baker had moved in by the following year.

On 25 June 1887 Mallam's inserted the following advertisement in Jackson's Oxford Journal for the sale by auction of 6 and 7 Broad Street:

Very valuable long-leasehold property comprising a large and convenient PRIVATE RESIDENCE, exceedingly well-built and arranged, and in the best possible order and repair, with Garden, Conservatory, &c., in the occupation of Mr. William Baker; also TWO SETS of commodious OFFICES, in the occupation of Mr. Arthur E. Ward and Mr. J. Drakeford, situated and being 6 and 7, Broad-street, Oxford.

Nos. 6 and 7, BROAD STREET.—No. 6 contains extensive cellarage, kitchen, scullery, larder, pantry, etc., in the basement; entrance hall, large dining room and morning room, with charming conservatory, on the ground floor; a large and lofty drawing room, lighted by three windows, bed room, and w.c., on the first floor; two bed rooms, bath room, and dressing room, on the second floor: and two large attics over; also two good bed rooms and an attic over the offices adjoining. The Garden is nicely laid out at the back of the two houses. No. 7, Broad-street was formerly part of the above premises, but the communication is now cut off. There are capital cellars throughout the basement, two convenient and well lighted offices on the ground floor, and two large ditto above the rest of the house, being part of No. 6.

The Property is one of the most central and desirable positions in the City of Oxford, immediately opposite Balliol College, and within a few steps of the principal streets of the City. It is held by Lease under the City of Oxford for a term of 40 years from 29th Sept. 1879, at a yearly rental of $4 7s. 6d. and 8d. acquittances by equal portions on 25th March and 29th September, and also two couple of good fat capons or 3s. in money on 29th September.

Various government departments were housed here between 1921 and 1947. From then until 1970 it was the Broad Street post office (formerly at No. 12).

For 21 years it was the home of the Oxford Story. Jesus College now occupies the upper floors of this building.

Occupants of 6 Broad Street listed in directories

1823–1876

Solicitors

1823–1846: Crews Dudley & Son

1852–1874: John Crews Dudley

1875–1876: George Dennis Dudley

1880

J.A. Muir

1882–1899

William Baker

1890–1906

Mark Dugald Stark, Physician & Surgeon

1907–1909

Charles Hadland

1910–1914

Richard Hawkins (Mrs Hawkins from 1912), University lodging house

1918–1920

Oxfordshire Women’s Agricultural Committee

1921–1947

Numerous Government Departments, e.g.
1921: Ministry of Labour Training Department;
            Oxford City War Pensions Committee; Inland Revenue Valuation Dept
1925: County Court; District Registry of High Justice
1943: The Assistance Board
1945–1947: Ministry of Transport (Road Haulage Branch)

1949–1970

Broad Street Post Office

1972–1973

Carmita, Bahay Kubo Enterprises Ltd Gift shop

1974–1986

Blackwell’s Children’s Bookshop (moved from No. 22, and moved on to No. 8)

1986–2007

The Oxford Story

2008–2009

ExStore

2010–2017

Cath Kidston

Upstairs and back:
Ship Street Centre
(Jesus College accommodation)

2017–

Mountain Warehouse

Oxford Story

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home